What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Now that has surprised me, Debs. I hope you’ve enjoyed it?

2 Likes

UK first press vinyl, bought on the day of release more than 45 years ago. I’m surprised it’s not more battered than it is. Contains Gilmour’s best-ever guitar work IMO.

35 Likes

Been a big fan of PCO for a long time, more so after seeing their excellent set at Glastonbury 2009. It was off to see Tom Jones once they had finished. Lovely afternoon :grin:

7 Likes

Sorry to burst your bubble but in 2009 they were a PCO cover band nothing to do with the original Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Simon Jeffes’ son was the tenuous link.

1 Like

Must be one of best recordings of Joe Pass solo out there?
qobuz via Sonos port :grinning: into n272 :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

British Conversations - Graham Collier/Harry Beckett/Ed Speight

6 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :grinning: :notes:

17 Likes

Fair point and really wish I had got to see the earlier lineup. Still, the quality on show that day was remarkable.

1 Like

I’m a big fan - love the When in Rome live album - must give that a spin.

1 Like

Agree on the guitar work. I think Gilmour himself has said that Dogs was his best work whilst in PF

2 Likes

Blimey! I have that on vinyl too

Giving that a play too. Great stuff.

5 Likes

On vinyl… :notes: :+1:t3:

12 Likes

I really like both of their albums (actually, he, Tim Freeman, made a third some years later, I believe, which I haven’t heard).

The Nicholson Baker of lounge jazz pre-Britpop pop! Or something like that.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m going to have to put the Somi CD on again… it’s just so goddam good…

8 Likes

Sami, Zentile: the reimagination of Miriam Makeba. When you put it like this, @TheKevster, I must have a listen! Was wondering if this is going to get me into Monday rhythm. It did nicely! Good one. Thank you and have a good evening. :+1:

I am intrigued to find out about Miriam Makeba as well.

5 Likes

Haha, I wasn’t planning to post back to back on this one. I was responding to your earlier post from 4 hrs ago! :laughing:

1 Like

71NDmtqLgCL.SS500
Elton John - Breaking Hearts.

6 Likes

David, Ms Makeba – “Mama Africa” – was a great South African singer, songwriter and activist, possibly the most important figure in post-war African music after Fela Kuti. Her friend and mentor was Harry Belafonte.

Good albums to explore are An Evening With Belafonte/Makeba, The Queen of African Music, Makeba Sings! and The Many Voices Of Miriam Makeba.

6 Likes

Happy birthday Mr Gilmour :birthday::tada::gift:

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grinning:

23 Likes