What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

I admit I’m in two minds about what little I’ve heard (and I’ve only heard a little) of Nat - he is channeling (so to speak) some of my most-loved music(ians)-Alice and Pharoah in particular. So, Live in Larissa is good to hear for sure. Hoping it’ll become great as I listen more.

But…I adore the ‘originals’ - they have such power when I play the records I’m ‘dancing in my head’, to echo Ornette. And seeing Pharoah live in a small venue ( I was about 8 feet away from him ) is one of my utter musical highlights, along with seeing Archie Shepp…

I need to hear more Nat, clearly, to hear his particular ‘voice’. But that he reverences the same players and their towering music that I do is absolutely a plus! I’ll investigate further for sure.

2 Likes

Azymuth Spectrum / 2002 Milestone / Promo Japan CD / VICJ60959

Some excellent Brazilian grooves and sounds to raise the spirits on an overcast day.

8 Likes

He’s done some good Dub Reggae albums too, check his Bandcamp

Neko Case - Hell On.

10 Likes

Son of Dave - 03

1 Like

81KksSb9JNL.SS500
Men At Work - Cargo.

7 Likes

The Black Keys / Let’s Rock.

9 Likes

Simply Red - Simplified

12 Likes

Playing the Qobuz version now, rather more conventional hard bop than the last pair I was playing.

1 Like

Oscar Peterson Plays The Cole Porter Songbook / 2001 Verve / Germany CD / 8219872

Oscar Peterson Piano
Ray Brown Bass
Ed Thigpen Drums

11 Likes

Wooden Shjips. Self titled.
Psychedelic 60s music recorded in 2007. Thoroughly enjoyed and thanks to @Steve_S for the recommendation.

qobuz

6 Likes

Under The Big Black Sun has always been a favourite of mine, so time to dust off their latest.

X AlphabetLand

2 Likes

His Bobness’ best '70s album, sounding sensational on SACD.

20 Likes

The Smithereens – Blown To Smithereens - Best Of The Smithereens
CD|1991

4 Likes

4 Likes

Jenny Hval
Classic Objects

Aerial and poetic, carried by a pure voice more beautiful than ever.
A very nice album!

5 Likes

Moonchild Voyager / 2017 Tru Thoughts / UK CD / TRUCD341

4 Likes

Just finishing …

Fink - Bloom Innocent - Acoustic

Fin Greenall (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Percussion, Bow, Cajon, DAF, Fender Rhodes), Tim Thornton (Acoustic Guitar, Percussion, Piano, Vocals) and Guy Whittaker (Fretless Acoustic Bass, Percussion, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… kicked off this morning with a cup of coffee, a scone, and Fink’s ‘Bloom Innocent - Acoustic’ album and he and the band sounded mighty sweet!

4 Likes

A soundtrack album by John Lurie that I bought blind, purely because of the Resurrection of Albert Ayler title. Had to be interesting…

Glad I did. An album of contrasts (string quartet on STP, jazz group w/ violins on RoAA). Good stuff indeed.

5 Likes

41oqhJeI2mL.AC

61Z-39o5ERL.AC

Ry Cooder - Borderline.

Can’t believe that, as one of his biggest fans, I missed wishing Ry birthday greetings yesterday … … … still, better late than never, so aw ra best fur yer burfday, mah man Ry.

20 Likes