What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Those were certainly different times, Andy.

2 Likes

Probably my favourite rendition of Pink Floyd - Fat Old Son introduced by John Peel

8 Likes

Joe Satriani, generally not a fan of this genre, but took a punt a few years back, just to see what the fuss was all about. Excellent suppoert from the backing musicians and top notch production from Glyn Johns.

4 Likes

Quite enjoying a bit of Ill Considered, Liminal Space, after a nudge by @Dreadatthecontrols - vinyl inbound from Piccadilly Records too.

I’m gradually incorporating a bit of Jazz into my listening, after only owning Time Out for years (after hearing my cousin play a bit of it and loving it!), I branched out into Portico Quartet which has turned out to be a bit of a gateway drug! I’m not quite into the classics yet, and happily letting the musical journey unfold, but one of the very best bits about joining this forum has been the signposts, maps and guidebooks to a whole new world after years of electronic music and rock. Thank you to everyone who posts about the music.

3 Likes

My favourite of theirs

1 Like

It’s an excellent album. :+1:

The Rural Alberta Advantage – Mended With Gold
CD|2014

Alternative rock. Heard the band on satellite radio a few weeks back and decided to try an album. First listen pretty enjoyable. Plan to give it a few more listens.

1 Like
14 Likes

a couple of ambient / drone albums from Oophoi’s umbra label

2 Likes

Anne Garner
Dear Unknown

Anne Garner signs a superb record with Dear Unknown and is a possible translation of the sound of mist. Listen to the magic that emerges from this vital disk.
His music is never sad or happy but it is never neutral. It is somewhat made up of one and the other of these two feelings which forge human meteorology. We cannot deny the sincerity of the suffering that we perceive on this superb disc, the visceral character of this pain which ends up rhyming with sweetness as the nerves endure discomfort, boredom and sadness. It’s a bit like when you’ve cried too much, there’s a moment when the tears stop flowing, when you’re sterile from all sorrow, porous to the hope that wavers in the dark. That’s probably what makes this record so moving.

On a Friday, I often give mention to what evening pleasures Beeb 4 has in store for us music lovers, and tonight, starting at 21.00, we’re in for a rare treat … … … two and a half hours of … … … Neil Diamond.

Breathless with excitement, Chez Dave. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Eric Burdon & The Animals - Love Is (1968) not quite the Animals of old but the inclusion of Andy Summers makes this an interesting curio.

First track River Deep, Mountain High with Robert Wyatt on backing vocals.

Also cover of Traffic’s Coloured Rain with a 4 minute Summers guitar solo!

7 Likes

Just finished listening, such a remarkable person, inspiring, moving, funny and great choices of music

:heart:

3 Likes

RIP Donald ‘Tabby’ Shaw
Thank you for some beautiful Reggae Music.

Probably not their most popular record but this was the first Mighty Diamonds record I bought at 13 or 14 years old after discovering them via The Front Line LP on Virgin. For me the very pinnacle of the Harmonic Reggae bands who bought conscious lyrics with truly beautiful vocals.

I saw them live for the last time at The Concorde 2 in 2013 with my best friend from school where we bumped into and shared a few drinks with our Secondary School P.E. Teacher.

4 Likes

Returning to more Mighty Diamonds in honour of Tabby

This classic Eighties set recorded at Music Works with producer Gussie Clarke. Strong anti racist/apartheid songs like the title track and Mr Botha, lamenting gang violence, sweet lovers vibes and Ras Tafari African roots material with Steven Stanleys state of the art for the time electronic “digital” production and Tabbys sweet vocals to the fore.

The Mighty Diamonds - The Real Enemy (Tidal Master/Greensleeves)

Many of Tabby’s songs have now turned out to be sadly prophetic, the Diamonds recorded many heartfelt songs about gangs and internecine violence, songs like Why Me Black Brother Why, Another Brother Short and Gang War on this set to name just three, so its doubly shocking that his life has been taken in such a sickening way.

Jah Bless Tabby

4 Likes

Compiled and sequenced by Hall, BeforeAfter features thirty tracks spanning all five of his solo albums, from the 1980’s Robert Fripp-produced Sacred Songs through 2011’s Laughing Down Crying, which was co-produced with longtime Hall compatriot T-Bone Wolk, who sadly passed before the album was released. Additionally, the collection features six never-released performances from the pathbreaking web and television series Live From Daryl’s House, which Hall launched in 2007 with the then-novel idea of “playing with my friends and putting it up on the internet.” Special guests on the Live From Daryl’s House tracks include Rundgren, Dave Stewart, and Monte Montgomery. Taken as a whole, BeforeAfter draws unexpected and satisfying connections between the esoteric and accessible sides of Daryl Hall’s creativity.

8 Likes

Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures

14 Likes

Have a listen to the recent Time OutTakes set if you love the original album. Although ostensibly “out takes”,to me it plays like a complete alternative version of the album.

Btw thanks for the credit but thats rightfully due to @BlueCanary who championed Ill Considered and brought then to my attention some time back

14 Likes

Elton John - Honky Château

21 Likes

Ah, thanks @BlueCanary - enjoying their latest (vinyl release), I suspect it won’t be the last album of theirs I ended up buying :slight_smile:

2 Likes