What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

His father Tim Buckley was not far off being a member of the horrid ‘27 club’.

I think that Jeff was 31.

1 Like

Do go online to watch the videos for ‘Grace’ and ‘The Last Goodbye’ - they’re very special!

1 Like

John Parricelli. Alba. CD. 2000.

Parricelli began his career as a guitarist in 1982. He was one of the founding members of the British big band Loose Tubes. Parricelli also is in demand for work outside jazz. He is also very active as a studio musician, appearing on soundtracks to many television programmes and numerous films.

Time for some Guru - Jazzmatazz, and just noticed an error on the sleeve versus album centre, first track being introducing, but listed on album is introduction.

7 Likes

Don’t forget Tim, QS.

Just sayin’… :wink:

Rachmaninov’s 3rd Piano Concerto is my absolute fave. Trifonov does an excellent job in this rendition…

9 Likes

Tim Buckley made, I think, eight or nine albums for Elektra in the late 60s/early 70s. They used to be available in an Elektra box, which may still be available. Have a look at the US Amazon site.

There are also a couple of live albums, including the fantastic, very special ‘Dream Letter - Live In London’, introduced by none other than a very put-out Whispering Bob Harris!

That would be my suggestion for anyone interested in trying a Tim Buckley album, as it covers a lot of his very varied output.

PS The Elektra 7LP set is on the US Amazon site at just over $100 - but you may get stung by HMC&E for import duties.

2 Likes

Nice album

It’ll grow on you until you love it! Then you need to get the vinyl, that’ll knock your socks off :joy:

Bought on a whim after hearing it used in a product review on t’internet - echoes of the 80’s.

ATB, J

13 Likes

Now playing…

Gillian Welch - Revival

Gillian Welch (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Vocals), T-Bone Burnett (Optigan), James Burton ( Electric Guitar, National Steel Guitar), Armando Campean (Bass, Upright Bass), Buddy Harman (Drums, SnareDrums), John Hughey (Pedal Steel), Roy Huskey Jr. (Bass), Roy M. “Junior” Husky (Upright Bass), Jay Joyce (Electric E-Bow, Guitar), Jim Keltner Drums, Snare Drums), Greg Leisz (Dobro, Hawaiian Guitar, Weissenborn), and David Rawlings (Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Optigan, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this morning with Gillian, David and the band with this 1996 release and they are sounding mighty sweet! …one very nice album.

17 Likes

See you there tonight Kev!

2 Likes

Lazar Berman made a great recording of this concerto with (from memory) Abbado and the LSO about 30 years ago for CBS.

(I must dig out the LP and play it again soon.)

1 Like

Soen | Imperial | 2021
Not quite up to their best earlier albums but I always enjoy the sounds that this Swedish (prog metal?) band make.

3 Likes

And Buzzin’ fly such a good track live on that album

Finally got an hour to myself down the cabin, as Mrs QS arrived home early and relieved me of Kitten sitting duties.
So my mesh network chose this short window of time to totally forget everything.
Fortunately, streaming is only my 2nd source…

Rush - Power Windows, courtesy of the ever reliable analogue LP12😊
PS… Mesh required total shutdown and restart, starting with router🤷🏻‍♂️

8 Likes

14 Likes

Douyé: The Golden Sèkèrè

3 Likes

Emerson Lake & Palmer Tarkus / 2012 Sony / EU CD x 2 + DVDA / 88691937962

14 Likes

Suzi Quatro, KT Tunstall | Face To Face | 2023
I was chatting with a great friend and golf partner of mine the other day and we were nattering about how his daughter had enjoyed playing/gigging with KT again at a festival the other week (they’ve been at if for maybe 12-15years together). I saw this on Qobuz and wondered how her combo with Quatro would work. First run…

4 Likes