What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

On the cusp of a new year its time to start a new thread. This evening I am listening to Steely Dan’s Countown To Ecstasy on vinyl (original UK Probe). Why? Well, it’s a great album and one of SD’s best, and I’m asking myself whether to spring for one of the recent reissues. My experience with the UMe reissue of Can’t Buy A Thrill has made me very cautious. The Probe is excellent, and I also have a number of others so perhaps I don’t really need another… Happy New year everyone!

57 Likes

27 Likes

Steely Dan Aja / 2008 Geffen / Japan SHM CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / UICY93520

Who wrote that tired sea song
Set on this peaceful shore
You think you’ve heard this one before

36 Likes

King Crimson | In The Court of the Crimson King | 1969
Another old favourite on parade this time the 50th anniversary makeovers and various explorations, this one is the 5.1 mix.

35 Likes

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, the best of. :relaxed:

Wishing everyone a happy, safe and healthy new year.

15 Likes

Still 2022 here in Vancouver BC. Unsure yet with what to kick off 23.

1 Like

Happy New Year, Richard and to all those who contribute their music and comments here.

10 Likes

Sounds like an good problem to have. :relaxed:

1 Like

First up on the new thread, a bit of faerie fey…
‘Dedicated to Aslan and the Old Narnians’ indeed!

Tyrannosurus Rex My people were fair and had sky in their hair…But now they’re content to wear stars on their brows
1968 Regal Zonophone, in glorious technicolour mono.

16 Likes

24 Likes

Focus - At The Rainbow, after all these years, I am still amazed by Thijs van Leers’ vocalizations!

22 Likes

Nils Frahm

All Melody

A relaxing album before tuning into Planet Rocks new year show

Edward

14 Likes

‘Saturday Night Fever’ - Bee Gees

:man_dancing:

23 Likes

Nancy Sinatra, kids stuff. Picking up mood with this one. :relaxed:

10 Likes

You Should Be Dancing…

3 Likes

David Bowie - Let’s Dance. Welcoming in the New Year with my gateway Bowie LP. Looking back it amazes how pivotal this album was as I’d ever heard of Bowie prior, so buying this album in my teens opened up his astonishing back catalogue, and then other linked artists as a result. Probably the most important record in my collection for this alone, and certainly one of my most treasured.

Happy New Year everyone :champagne:

36 Likes

Snap!

1 Like

Haven’t played this in a long time. Very glad to remedy that: a side and a bit each for Laurie, John, and Bill. Music and readings.
You’re The Guy I want To Share My Money With
Laurie Anderson
John Giorno
Wm S Burroughs
Giorno Poetry Systems Records, 1981.

Always takes me back to when I saw Burroughs read at the Brixton Ritzy: a wonderful evening.

5 Likes

‘Moon Rappin’’ – Brother Jack McDuff

Recorded in 1969 and released 1970, this superb 2022 Blue Note reissue is worth every penny (bar the opening track of side 2 which is flat as a pancake, as @Richard.Dane pointed out upon release). Aside from that it’s a glorious mix of jazz and funk. Amazing how recording quality improved during the decade preceding its release. Few contemporary records sound better, in my opinion.

The track ‘Made in Sweden’ possesses the most brilliant inventive drumming (by Joe Dukes). Highly recommended

11 Likes

Pat Metheny + Dave Holland + Roy Haynes Question And Answer / 1990 Geffen / England CD / GFLD19197

11 Likes