What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Enjoying some great releases this week:

8 Likes

Lana Del Ray - Norman F****** Rockwell - CD

12 Likes

Bram Tchaikovsky - Strange Man, Changed Man

6 Likes

This album was a free download at one stage from Danger Mouse’s website. I think there was some dispute with the record company so he put it out anyway. Really good mix of artists on it as I recall.

Thanks for the reminder Tony.

2 Likes

Guru - Jazzmatazz vol.1 - 1993

Nice vibe to this album, and great contributions from Byrd, Ayers, Pine, Marsalis etc.
@Adam1 my copy is the same, first track differs on cover and disc, maybe reissue in 2016 sorted this out?

12 Likes

The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
Fatboy Slim - You’ve Come Along Way, Baby

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend :smiling_face:

13 Likes

Eagerly awaiting my copy new the new Sparklehorse album “Bird Machine”. Hoping it may arrive today!

3 Likes

Cracking album and mine sounds fantastic so a printing error is the easiest issue to live with.

Mine probably is a 2016 reissue, so no probably not but maybe that means it’s true to the original release, mistakes and all.

I did have a run of ordering Yazoo CD’s and the recorded CD was entirely the wrong album to all the cover and labels. Only time I’ve ever had that.

1 Like

John Peel circa 1981.

Finally plucked up the courage to put a 40+ year old Boots Audio C120 cassette tape in the deck to find out what’s on it. Fantastic, another JP radio show.

Playlist is:
Splodginess Abounds - Pilchard Freak
Rankin Dread - Lots Of Lovin
Bow Wow Wow - Uomo Sex Al Apache
Bauhaus - Rosegarden Funeral Of Sores
Ry Cooder - Crazy About An Automobile
Mo-Dettes - Satisfy
The Spurts - I Won’t
Simple Minds - Kaleidoscope
Splodginess Abounds - Malcolm’s Mum pts 1,2 & 3 (“significantly unpleasant” JP)
Robert Rental - Double Heart
Cravats - All Around The Corner
Bow Wow Wow - Fools Rush In
Cuban Heels - Walk On Water
Modern Eon - Euthenics
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
Echo And The Bunnymen - Do It Clean
P.I.L. - Careering On

It plays extremely well and SQ is excellent!

18 Likes

Wow, C120’s weren’t exactly reliable back in the day, deck looks ace btw.

4 Likes

Now playing…

Miles Davis - Circle In The Round

Miles Davis (Trumpet, Bells, Chimes), John Coltrane (Tenor Saxophone), Cannonball Adderley (Alto Saxophone), Hank Mobley (Tenor Saxophone), Wayne Shorter (Tenor Saxophone), [Bennie Maupin (Bass Clarinet), Khalil Balakrishna (Sitar), Joe Beck (Guitar), George Benson (Guitar), John McLaughlin (Guitar), Red Garland (Piano), Bill Evans (Piano), Wynton Kell (Piano), Herbie Hancock (Piano, Celeste, Electric Piano), Chick Corea (Electric Piano), Joe Zawinul (Electric Piano), Paul Chambers (Double Bass), Ron Carter (Double Bass)), Dave Holland (Double Bass), Philly Joe Jones (Drums), Jimmy Cobb (Drums), Tony Williams (Drums), Billy Cobham (Drums), Jack DeJohnette (Drums) and Airto Moreira (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… a mention from @AndyP above had me place “Circle In The Round” in the queue and now taking out for a spin… and the second track ‘Love for Sale’ is sounding sublime and looking forward to the rest of the album!

21 Likes

On Vinyl:
81oBg-Mr0BL.AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65
Everything But The Girl - Fuse

14 Likes

Bill Frisell - When You Wish Upon a Star

I love Bill’s playing. His harmonisation, which often sounds quite ‘outside’, catches me by surprise, but always works. I wish I could play more like this.

12 Likes

Brahms 1st racket on Vinyl. Very enjoyable. (a joke from 1975)

8 Likes

Joining @Pete_the_painter in enjoying the new album from The Coral. With this one and their last, Coral Island, they really have perfected their wistful psych-pop. Fabulous stuff

8 Likes

Post-supper sun down on the terrace with some ‘Drugs and red wine.

15 Likes

Some belters on that Ms Murphy album, played it earlier. Wasn’t too taken by the Chems, but will give it another go.
Some K&D currently providing the backdrop to this sunday eve’s listening …

8 Likes

Bruckner Number 9. Vinyl.

10 Likes

Listening to this. Why?

Only really listened to his Columbia and Riverside output. There is some lovely tunes here. Mostly with his 2nd quintet.
Miles is growing on me.
Just wish he and the great Bill didn’t do more together.

7 Likes

And now playing their finest album IMO

8 Likes