What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Vladimir Ashkenazy - Chopin Favourite Piano Works

I heard a Chopin solo piano piece played on Martin Handley’s programme on Radio 3 and needed to hear more. This is the only album I have to fit that requirement.

12 Likes

A bit of classic Floyd to follow the modern YES of earlier (90125):slightly_smiling_face:

35 Likes

Clive seeing the Chopin you are playing I picked this album up yesterday in a charirty shop for a pound.
I see your CD is on Decca their a great label always superb recordings on it especially vinyl from the 60’s @ 70 's is very collectable.

Wishing you a relaxing Sunday

13 Likes

Thanks, you too. I’m really envious of those who keep finding excellent CDs at their local charity shops. My local Oxfam seems to have little other than Val Doonican and Mariah Carey!

2 Likes

Paul McCartney - Flaming Pie - CD Archive Collection

14 Likes

Have a look for the masterful Chopin record of solo piano pieces which the mercurial Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli made for DG in the early 1970s.

Or any of his pupil, Maurizio Pollini’s Chopin. Pollini made a recording for EMI in 1960 of Chopin’s First Piano Concerto (Philharmona/Kletzki) and a disc of solo piano pieces, before retiring from the concert stage to study with Michelangeli for seven years. Pollini re-emerged with a new recording contract with DG, and made six or seven Chopin recordings for that label.

3 Likes

Wishbone Ash to follow Floyd, with Blue Horizon from 2014

9 Likes

I have a few Chopin discs by Maria Joāo Pires, as well as another one or two which I can’t remember right now. These may well be Pollini. I’ll have to have a search. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Elvis Costello - Armed Forces - CD

22 Likes

Fancied a spot of Santana this morning

27 Likes

Cowboy Junkies, Such Ferocious Beauty, 2023.

The Cowboy Junkies are alive and well and like anybody else managing loss, grief and that bitter sense of lost opportunity (just my opinion).

13 Likes

Miles Davis Live Around The World / 1996 Warner / Germany CD / 8122736122

More Miles, but from a different era.

16 Likes

Cowboy Junkies, The Trinity Session, 1988.

Because this contains the best cover ever of Sweet Jane, according to Lou Reed himself.

17 Likes

Think this one comes under the broad brush of “India folk”

2 Likes

From one guitar great to another - glorious

18 Likes

Deep Purple - Made In Japan.
One of the best live albums out there.

29 Likes

I was lucky enough to see RG play this set live at Reading Festival 1980 when I was 16

20 Likes

Nothing like Highway Star to start your Sunday.
BTW, that TA thingy is growing on me.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

A spot of Mod Revival. Released 43 years ago :slightly_frowning_face:

A very decent album, extremely well produced and played. Shades of The Jam, particularly Mark Wincer’s Buckleresque drumming.

I never saw the Lambrettas: I saw The Chords at the Marqee, the Purple Hearts “somewhere in Camden”

4 Likes

The collection of Smith’s songs featured in David Fincher’s latest movie ‘The Killer’ starring Michael Fassbender

The Smiths – ‘Well I Wonder’
The Smiths – ‘I Know It’s Over’
The Smiths – ‘How Soon Is Now?’
The Smiths – ‘Hand In Glove’
The Smiths – ‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’
The Smiths – ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’
The Smiths – ‘Girlfriend In A Coma’
The Smiths – ‘Shoplifters Of The World Unite’
The Smiths – ‘Unhappy Birthday’
The Smiths – ‘This Charming Man’
The Smiths – ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’

Made into a playlist