What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Someone had this on the other day which reminded me it’s been a while!

This is my original copy. My daughter bought me a new copy for Christmas two years ago, not realising I already had it. I actually haven’t played it yet, so I must give it a spin to see how it compares to the original.

24 Likes

5 Likes

Julian Lage - Speak to Me

Those familiar with John Zorn will already have encountered Julian Lage who has played guitar on a number of essential Zorn albums.

This is a class album from a great guitarist.

7 Likes

Staying with Talking Heads for a little while more.

My Talking Heads Live, ‘unofficial’ copy. When I bought it I had no idea and only found out some time later, but there you go.

I do love all the early live TH.

13 Likes

Butterworth, Parry and Bridge. English String Orchestra. Lovely.

11 Likes

Now Playing…

Playlist 'Naim Forum - Hauntingly Beautiful Songs

Streaming on Qobuz… Back in July, 2022 there was a thread titled " Hauntingly beautiful songs and I created a playlist on Qobuz from members suggested songs. Taking it out for a spin and I started it up this morning and enjoying the music for the past few hours while I did my exercises and now going to listen while doing some chores around the house.

If you have Qobuz you should be able to find the playlist and you can also find the thread here.

Life is Sweet and so is the music…

20 Likes

Beth Orton, trailer park. :smiling_face:

18 Likes

The Cars - The Cars - CD (1978)

Out of sequence, but what the heck, good music, is good music.

22 Likes

Never Let Me Down 2018 Remix.

10 Likes

Larry Coryell, together. :smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’ll check that out, Andy.

1 Like

On Japanese CD, a classy 1959 set of standards by the singer, with top-notch arrangements and orchestrations from Richard Wess.

5 Likes

Nice album but I am sure I can hear the bass player humming/singing along quietly on the first two tracks. Very distracting though I don’t often listen with headphones.

1 Like

Paul Bley and Keith Jarrett hum, vocalize, and even grunt as they play.

For me, that is part of the charm and fascination of their music making - the sounds they make adding another form to the performance as it is part of their way of producing sound and improvising on stage as they invent the way forward into the music.

3 Likes

Enjoying…

Big fan of Chris Rea having played “New Light Through Old Windows” extensively whilst at Uni.

Many good albums to choose from but fancied giving this one a ‘spin’ to celebrate Chris’ 73rd birthday today.

Something compelling to me about “Windy Town” that epitomises Chris’ unique signature and style - sublime!

Many happy returns, Chris!

Sublime
Qobuz
ERA-1s

15 Likes

Isis - Oceanic (2002 repress, limited edition)

Another beloved album I haven’t pulled out in a while to try on my upgraded system. A seminal work that took the angular rage of metalcore and stripped it down to its bones, bolting it to a frame that drew as much from doom metal than ambient minimalism.

Sound-wise this was a joy, the pared-back instrumentation allowing one to savor all the texture and tone from the layered distortion. Definitely picked up on details I never noticed before and took a recording that I viewed as serviceable to one that is nuanced and at times, demo-worthy.

6 Likes

Taake, I agree wholeheartedly.

Oceanic is simply beautiful. One of the greats.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks

Al Stewart The Year of the Cat, I do like Time Passages but I seemed to play this most. The title track is a certified classic imo. :grin:

Listening via the QB2 while cooking tonight’s chilli

27 Likes

Dido, still on my mind. :smiling_face:

17 Likes