What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Shelby Lynne, just a little lovin’. :smiling_face:

13 Likes

I did something very similar! although my choice and quantity of Lego wasn’t as comprehensive as now!

I’ve always liked the Fireball XL5 rocket, you’ve ignited a spark there, wonder if there’s any MOC instructions out there…

1 Like

There’s one on the Lego Ideas page from about 4 years ago

1 Like

Bedtime Tunes

The latest release from Quinn Sullivan: Salvation

2 Likes

Just found it, interesting.

Following the offering from Toumani Diabaté & Ballaké Sissoko, noted above, here’s a compilation from 1970 which includes their fathers!

Again, streaming from yootoob……until i get around to next order from the Big River.

9 Likes

Enjoying…

King Hannah | ‘Big Swimmer’

Noticed this recent release had some positive feedback from the thread, so have given it a ‘spin’ and halfway through and finding it a pleasantly listenable album.

Really well recorded, Hannah Merrick’s vocals whilst atmospheric and floaty cut nicely through the distorted electric guitar chords of ‘Somewhere Near El Paso’. Percussion presents across a very wide soundstage and the whole thing sounds pretty impressive on first listen.

A couple of earlier tracks including ‘The Mattress’ sounded good, and intend to give this album another few plays over the coming days.

IMHO a promising album from a promising band, that’s new to me - thanks.

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

7 Likes

Jordan Rakei - The Loop

4 Likes

Dido, life for rent. :smiling_face:

16 Likes

Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast (2004 re-issue, picture disc)

So I mainly threw this on to reacquaint myself with the sound of picture discs and determine if they indeed sound inferior to regular pressings but man, I forgot how fun this album was. Yeah, it’s not “true” black metal insofar as the “Helvete” crowd are concerned but I really enjoy the OTT theatrics of Cradle of Filth and Cruelty and the Beast is the band at their best. Stand-out track is easily “Beneath the Howling Stars,” a perfect microcosm of what CoF represents, a careening epic with more twists-and-turns than your upper digestive tract, melding furious riffs, glass-shattering shrieks, mournful synths and gothic spoken word, all tied together with expert song-writing, leaving the listener with the impression they just experienced the soundtrack to an Anne Rice novel. Worth the price of admission alone.

Okay, but was the picture disc a train-wreck? I’ve listened to this and other picture discs in the past and honestly never thought there was any obvious handicap but that was on a set-up that has now been eclipsed by my current system. With such a keenly resolving system did I hear the horrors of the vilified medium? Nope. In fact, this pressing sounds quite frankly, amazing, with massive dynamics and details, showing no signs of signal degradation. A real stunner. So yeah, if the only pressing you can find of an album you enjoy is a picture disc don’t let it stop you from snapping it up. If it sounds bad it’s not the fault of the medium at the very least.

5 Likes

An iradio station we’ve been listening to lately: Radio Caroline. One of the Naim suggested stations.
Mostly lightish listening and well chosen tunes.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Live from my hospital bed, The Beatles Abbey Road

26 Likes

Are you ok @Pete? Wishing you well!

2 Likes

I thought I was but apparently they’re worried.

OK, you’re in the right place then! Get well soon.

6 Likes

Chris Rea Greatest Hits

8 Likes

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic / 2011 Geffen / Japan SHM CD / UICY25037

Yes, I’m dying to be a star and make them laugh
Sound just like a record on the phonograph

21 Likes

On CD:-

Jake Xerxes Fussell - Jake Xerxes Fussell

10 Likes

Bixiga 70 and Malungu. This was a 10 piece band I saw yesterday at WOMAD. Brazilian outfit with fantastic rhythm. Percussion, brass, keyboards the lot. Superb and a great way to kick start the week.

3 Likes