What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Great compilation.

8 Likes

CD - Warner Bros Records Inc 1996 : )

Bob James Trio - Straight Up

<<>>

Bob James – piano
Christian McBride – bass
Brian Blade – drums

Recorded at The Power Station, New York, NY in December 1995

~ < < > > ~

8 Likes

13 Likes

Now Playing…

Anouar Brahem on ECM - Playlist - Public - by Qobuz - Jazz
23 tracks - 02h 17m 18s

Streaming on Qobuz… saw this listed on Qobuz this morning and enjoy his music so away I go… and as always Anouar and the talented group of musicians working with him are sounding sublime~

3 Likes

Spurred on by @QuickSticks et all to listen again to this masterpiece from Gavin Clarke.
Sunhouse - Crazy on the Weekend.

Sounding absolutely superb through the classic 52/135, SBL’s, the ‘Javelined’ LP12 really showing why its top drawer!

10 Likes

Pete Tong and The Heritage Orchestra, Chilled Classic, whilst I tidy the garden.

3 Likes

Mrs Bruss’ birthday and chilling with some blues and a glass of red.

This has to be one of the best collaborations I’ve heard. Not a duff track on this.

14 Likes

15 Likes

Yeah true - nothing new. But nowadays I wait with buying a bit and buy something in advance, so I at least generate some discount….

1 Like

One of my favourite albums, I just love it :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Diamonds and Pearls, Prince & The New Power Generation, 1991.

The 2023 release, sounding so different from the original, and I like it better…

15 Likes

Picking up the pace a bit, Bicep, Isles, love this album.

1 Like

Suns back out so time for some mo desert blues. Ali Farka Toure the Source, a World Circuit 2017 Special Edition double. Hot hot :fire:

10 Likes

Via ripped CD, a long term favourite and an album that has just revealed more musical delights as my system has evolved.

For me, it’s one of her most accessible albums, and the demo version (via Qobuz) is a great listen too.

PJ Harvey - Stories from the city, stories from the sea.

17 Likes

Piah Mater : Under The Shadow Of A Foreign Sun 2024 (Bandcamp 48/24)

This one is a fantastic progressive metal album from a group of guys from Brazil.

Crunching riffs, driving drums, tasteful solos, intense passages of music with more peaceful interludes. Vocals come in both the clean and more growled variety but even the more death metal vocals are easily discernible. Musical accents in the second half of the album are provided by saxophone, viola, violin and cello and even flute and they add depth and interest to the music.

Comparisons to Opeth from the Ghost Reveries/Watershed era are inevitable, especially as the clean vocals do sound quite like Mikael Akerfeldt (despite the singer being Brazilian not Swedish) and the guitar tone on the solos can also be quite similar. For those hankering after something in this vein while you wait for the new one from Opeth, give this one a try, I am sure you will not be disappointed. Note: there is an album from 2018 called The Wandering Daughter which is also very good, but it lacks the depth brought by the more classical instrumentation.

Physical copies are hard to find, or very pricey; the vinyl is €25 on Bandcamp which is probably not too bad, but shipping is a bit too steep for me, hence a Bandcamp download. Also available on Qobuz

2 Likes

2 Likes

Beth Orton - Central Reservation - CD (1999)

20 Likes

Great album - I’ve not played it recently so it’s now on my playlist :+1:

1 Like

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed

21 Likes

Keeping with the chilled mood.

JJ and now a spag bol to add substance with the glass of red.

19 Likes