What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Jon and Vangelis. 1981. Vinyl.

Poor initial sales but " I’ll Find My Way Home" was added after becoming a hit single and then the album sold well. It’s rather good imho.

15 Likes

Not one track a filler. Wonderful.

G

19 Likes

On CD:-

Genesis - Duke

18 Likes

10 Likes

Now playing…

Gary Burton Quintet with Eberhard Webber - Ring

Gary Burton (Vibraharp). Eberhard Weber (Double Bass), Mick Goodrick (Guitar), Pat Metheny (Electric 12-String Guitar), Steve Swallow (Bass Guitar) Bob Moses (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with this fantastic album from Gary with one very talented group of musicians working with him and they are sounding sublime! One sweet album…

7 Likes

McCartney. Unplugged Live. 1991. Standards and a few lesser known Macca songs. Well recorded and recommended.

“Unlike other artists who appeared on the show with acoustic instruments plugged into amplifiers, McCartney’s instruments were entirely unplugged.” Wiki.

13 Likes

‘Tango in the Night’ – Fleetwood Mac

Great sounding album, despite the occasional ‘80s over-production. And super songs too.

23 Likes

The Beatles - Let it Be. Marvelous.

23 Likes

Gary Numan - Savage (Songs From a Broken World)

10 Likes

I have it on good authority (Directly from the recording engineer) that they blew-up Linsey Buckingham’s BMW car stereo trying to get the mix right for Tango.

He still has my old PMC TB2 on his mixing desk.

G

3 Likes

Cool!

I read somewhere that poor old Lindsey was chained to a Fairlight for 18 months while several of the band straightened themselves out in rehab. Impressive results either way.

2 Likes

14 Likes

IMG_0776
Family | Bandstand | 1972
I’ve always enjoyed this band with its very distinctive sound due in great part to the voice of Roger Chapman. Good stuff.

13 Likes

Not quite as good SQ as on my vinyl version but splendid enough all the same.

Dusty In Memphis.

19 Likes

Deacon Blue - Live At The Glasgow Barrowlands 2017

10 Likes

Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure - CD (1979)

24 Likes

Anna Clyne | SHORTHAND

During the pandemic, I explored writing for solo cello and strings in a piece called Shorthand which is inspired by Tolstoy’s quote that ’music is the shorthand of emotion’ and which quotes fragments from Beethoven’s ’Kreutzer’ Sonata, which inspired Tolstoy’s novella of the same title, as well as Janáček’s String Quartet no.1. Cellist Karen Ouzounian and The Knights premiered the chamber version at Caramoor in upstate New York, which I later expanded to a string orchestra version. This piece is the basis of my new portrait album, SHORTHAND , with The Knights and conductor Eric Jacobsen, which features music for strings and reflects decades of artistic friendships and collaborations, with soloists Avi Avital, Colin Jacobsen, Pekka Kuusisto, and Yo-Yo Ma performing the title track, Shorthand.

4 Likes

Stars Of Bop - Tour De Force - Paris 1969
Moon Records

6 Likes

The BQE/Sufjan Stevens.

As with Frank Zappa, a lot of my favourite Sufjan music is that written for orchestra.

4 Likes

Prefer his Little Feat albums but this is still such a great album for me. Vinyl.

19 Likes