What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

But plenty of compression.

Can someone explain Trance to me?

A pal asked if I’d seen this:

Nice enough in the background, lots of unremarkable synths, pretty lights, but…?

I’ll ask my son he’s a big fan

:joy:

2 Likes

It’s not unpleasant and got me tapping my feet, but crikey it can’t be hard to produce sound like this can it?

You need some chemical enhancements.

I imagine…

2 Likes

That occurred to me - somehow I just missed out on that particular ’thrill’ which seemed to become popular as soon as I started work. Never wanted to ‘go there’ at the time, and not sure I would now even if it were legal.

Amy Sky, Olivia Newton-John, Beth Nielsen Chapman, liv on. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Lol…I dabbled a little bit, but it never really succeeded in making quintessentially boring music interesting to me :woozy_face:

However…poppers could make even the most banal advert on TV riveting, for about 20 seconds :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Ex:Re – Ex:Re
CD rip|2019

indie rock. enjoyable album that i haven’t listened to in a while

6 Likes

Blimey, I’d not want to sh*t myself watching a Fairy advert.

Slayer - Seasons In the Abyss (From the 2011 limited edition The Vinyl Conflict box-set, remastered)

1990 was a hell of a year for metal. Persistence of Time by Anthrax, Painkiller by Judas Priest, Cause of Death by Obituary, Cowboys From Hell by Pantera, Rust In Peace by Megadeth and of course, Seasons In the Abyss by Slayer.

In some ways Seasons is the answer to “What if the 1990 version of Slayer recorded 1986’s Reign In Blood?” Four years isn’t a lot of time, but in the ever evolving metal landscape, combined with young musicians grown confident in their songwriting you end up with a hyper-focused dose of aggression and technicality tempered by the steady hand of experience. Seasons is maturity and confidence, able to rip your throat out with the unrelenting assault of opener “War Ensemble” (recalling “Angel of Death” but with the intensity dialed up to 11) to the chill-running-down-your-back restraint of “Dead Skin Mask” culminating with the epic descent into madness with final track “Seasons In the Abyss.”

This was and still remains the pinnacle of Slayer, stripped of any superfluity, offering a destructive volley of musical ammunition that doesn’t so much as wash over you as leave you riddled with bullet holes. And you’ll be thankful for it.

Like all of the records remastered in the box-set, Seasons is as flawless a pressing as the music contained pressed into the grooves. Simply put, this is a reference disc, anointed with all of the detail, air, impact and delicacy as you would find on the best audiophile releases out there. They should play this instead of “Kind of Blue” for the trillionth time at hi-fi shows if they want to impress people.

5 Likes

Robert Wyatt tempted me to buy this not being an EBTG fan but Watt sounds great on this coloured vinyl. Relaxing stuff.

6 Likes

Street Legal/Bob Dylan (SACD).

19 Likes

New Order – Get Ready
CD rip|2001

Giving some less heard New Order a listen.

13 Likes

David Gilmour - About Face - CD (1984)

15 Likes

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy And The Lash

Very infectuous get up and dance album. Their best? Elvis C. was helpful on the way to stardom and a pest at the same time, chasing Cait.

11 Likes

Bought a vinyl copy of this from a second hand record store in Brighton when I was still at college. Love On The Air was a great track, played it to death.

1 Like

Freddie Hubbard Hub Cap / 2003 Blue Note / EU CD / RVG Edition / 724354230226

12 Likes

Enchanting Mozart 6 Sonatas for Flute and Harpsichord K 10 - 15

10 Likes

Not had chance to listen to much music for the last few days, but slotting this in as gig prep, seeing them tonight in Wolverhampton.

13 Likes