What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

The Go-Betweens - Spring Hill Fair

@Pete_the_painter I’m just filling in the remaining gaps in my Go-Betweens collection.

This one in remastered form sounds very good indeed. A little gem and recorded in France.

7 Likes

You can’t go wrong with a Go Between album. :rofl:

2 Likes

1 Like

That is very true indeed.

2 Likes

6 Likes

More of Gira and company - this is the original 1992 double CD. Epic!

4 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

That takes me back! Clowne youth club, 14 years old, in my Friday night finery :grin::grin:

Part of a Blue Note set of 6 discs.

19 Likes

Enjoying…

Taylor Swift | ‘The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology’

Relaxing back to this epic (c.2h) release.

Some memorable (to me, on first listen) lyrics including the smile-inducing ‘My friends all smell of weed or little babies’ !! (track 8: ‘Florida!!!’).

Thought-provoking lyrics more than make up for a ‘samey’ melodic pace/style on this album.

Sublime…

Qobuz 24/48
ERA-1s

13 Likes

Thanks @AndyP for the recommendation - He’s a superb guitarist - I’ll dig that one out and give it a ‘spin’ later this week. :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

Pavel Kilkar, Musica Antiqua Praha. Not even half way through this four hours of barque music. So tranquil. :smiling_face:

7 Likes

UADA - Crepuscule Natura (2023 deluxe edition, limited edition)

This was the only band from my recent Eisenwald order that I was familiar with and UADA’s fourth album does not disappoint. These Americans arguably produce some of the best black metal today, rivaling their European counterparts here with Crepuscule Natura (boy does that title just roll off the tongue), a dense sphere of furiousity that hearkens back to the intensity of their debut. Need to give it a few whirls to truly absorb it but suffice it to say it’s one of the best releases from last year methinks. I’m still bitter that they cancelled their first ever Australian tour last October due to a last-minute internal strife that lead to members being fired. Sigh, what a show that could have been.

The production here is an odd one. It’s a dense, meaty sound that eschews clarity and air with its rolled-off highs and chewy mids. It’s a claustrophobic assault that sounds like a band playing live in a studio that’s too small for the energy produced and while detail is repressed the tactile nature of the bass and drums is at times startlingly real, bordering on the rapturous. A sound to be felt rather than heard. Packaging on this deluxe edition is also first-rate although the outer-sleeves are a might small making it a bit of a struggle to fit the poly-lined inner sleeves.

Grinderman - Grinderman 2 - CD (2010)

Played the first, seems a shame not to play the second…

7 Likes

Ana Popovic - Unconditional

5 Likes

Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew. Folk. Gentle start to the day.

10 Likes

Andy and @Pete_the_painter thanks for the Go Betweens banter - given me the nudge to play some before work …Enjoy your day chaps

The Go Betweens - Liberty Belle And The Black Diamond Express

12 Likes

No problem glad you’re enjoying them, Oceans Apart is my favourite.

3 Likes

Live at Villa Maximos - Greg Foat, Sokratis Votskos, Warren Hampshire, Ayo Salawu. Space jazz, four great musicians. Nice work if you can get it.

3 Likes