What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

He does it over and over again. New album, not a dud amidst. His discography.

9 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

13 Likes

Dido, life for rent. :smiling_face:

17 Likes

CD - Mack Avenue 2011 : )

Yellowjackets - Timeline

<< >>

Russell Ferrante – keyboards, acoustic piano
Jimmy Haslip – bass
Will Kennedy – drums, keyboards
Bob Mintzer – tenor saxophone, sopranino saxophone, bass clarinet

Guest Musicians:
Robben Ford – guitars (5)
John Daversa – trumpet (2, 8)

Recoded at Firehouse Recording Studios, Pasadena, CA / album released in 2011

~ < < > > ~

4 Likes

Diana Krall, wallflower. :smiling_face:

18 Likes

Evening!
Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool - 2015

4 Likes

Mastodon - The Hunter (2011, 45rpm)

After delivering a complex prog epic with Crack the Skye, Mastodon chose to return to their roots with follow up, The Hunter. For some this was a let down, the band seeming to shrink within themselves rather than push the complexity envelope further ala Tool but for someone who got into the band with their debut this was a welcomed shift. That is not to say Crack the Skye strayed too far from their core sound, nor that The Hunter abandoned musical progression in favor of comfortable atavism, rather it provided an opportunity for a mature band to revisit their early years in the forge of experience. And the results show, The Hunter delivering sludgy riffs that groove and grunt, married to slick song-writing that ties it all together in an accessible package despite the crushing heaviness therein.

Case-in-point, stand out track "Curl of the Burl’ is a addictive blend of bluesy riffs and catchy choruses, bound together with some of the most tasteful lead-work the band had come up with to that point. I’ll admit I sing this song out loud all the time because it’s an absolute joy to expel from the body. Right up there with “Trainwreck” as the best track they’ve put their name to.

The Hunter is also the last Mastodon release I bought and haven’t checked out their music since. No, not because the album is bad as aside from my only real criticism being a lack of variety with the song choices I honestly feel it’s up there with the band’s best. No, the reason is that Mastodon toured Australia the following year and ended up putting on a woeful show when I saw them here in Sydney. To add insult to injury, “Curl of the Burl” was performed so shockingly poorly, a track I was understandably champing at the bit to hear live, that I all but disavowed the band there-and-then. An emotive spur-of-the-moment decision, sure, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. It’s been 12 years so maybe it’s time I buried the hatched and listen to what they’ve put out since but sometimes it’s hard being the bigger man.

Oh, if you’re still reading, do note that this original pressing is an absolute sonic delight, from the glossy, deluxe packaging (no poly inner sleeves, sadly) to the huge, rich meaty sound spun at 45rpm that is simply flawless. Track a copy down if you’re at all interested as it’s well worth the coin.

5 Likes

While i appreciate the sentiment regarding the live performance, their next outing is great (as our the following two). It has more catchy tunes, proggy riffs and, for some welcomed, singing by Brann. Once More Around The Sun is the first time this happens, but it’s not the last and I feel it’s worth it have three distinctive voice in their mix.

2 Likes

Diane Birch gig from a number of years back officially recorded.

4 Likes

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left - CD (1969)

In Memory of Nick Drake, who would have been 76 today 19/06/48

He signed to Island Records when he was 20 years old and released his debut album, Five Leaves Left, in 1969. By 1972, he had recorded two more albums, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon. Drake took his own life on November 25th, 1974, aged 26.

21 Likes

Yellowjackets Timeline / 2011 Mack Avenue / US CD / MAC1058

4 Likes

Russell Ferrante Trio Inflexion / 2021 Blue Canoe / US CD / BC1456

5 Likes

Some lovely Mozart piano Concertos before leaving for the working day

11 Likes

Starting my today’s listening with Styx, Kilroy Was Here. Feeling a bit lazy this morning, so though I have 2 vinyl copies (US & UK) I’ve decided to stream it🫤

4 Likes

Jimmy Haslip Red Heat / 2000 Unitone / US CD / 1370248022

2 Likes

Marina Allen - Eight Pointed Star. California singer/songwriter. Americana/folk/indie, I guess. She’s very good.

4 Likes

Continuing todays stroll down memory lane with Asia - Alpha

9 Likes

A great band although they are probably only known over here for the rather sugary single Babe, Kilroy Was Here is not one of my personal favourites preferring either The Grand Illusion or Pieces Of Eight but great to see another fan on the forum

4 Likes

Mrs Q’s all time favourite band.
Saw them at the London Palladium a few years ago and they still had it. Brilliant gig😊

3 Likes

Next up The Alan Parsons Project - The Turn Of A Friendly Card

Definitely trapped in a time warp today😉

20 Likes