What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Along with old Roger’s Amused To Death, Masterpieces by Ellington may well the the best recorded, best-sounding album I have ever heard. This 2014 Analogue Productions LP (cut by Ryan K Smith) is simply stunning. Amazing to think it was recorded in December 1950. The music is of course without equal.

13 Likes

Now Playing…

Arooj Aftab - Night Reign

Arooj Aftab (Drum Sequencing, Percussion, Sequencing, Synthesizer, Vocals), Camae Ayewa (Voices), Cautious Clay (Flute), Darian Donovan Thomas (Violin), Elvis Costello (Wurlitzer), Gyan Riley (Guitar, Electric GuitarHeather Ewer (Tuba), Huda Asfour (Oud), James Francies (Fender Rhodes, Juno), Jamey Haddad (Percussion), Joel Ross (Vibraphone), Kaki King (Guitar), Keita Ogawa] (Percussion), Linda May Han Oh (Upright Bass), Maeve Gilchrist (Harp), Marc Anthony Thompson (Bass, Piano, Strings, Synthesizer), Nadje Noordhuis (Flugelhorn), Petros Klampanis (Bass, Upright Piano), Shahzad Ismaily (Bass, Juno, Moog Bass), TimaLikesMusic (Juno, Piano) and Vijay Iyer (Piano).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… returning home from coffee with friends and sitting down with a bowl of bananas, strawberries and yogurt and taking out Arooj, supported by a large and very talented group of musicians, out for another spin. Album released on May 30th and it does get better with each spin… Arooj and the band are sounding sublime!

5 Likes

You don’t realise how old it is, but a great period for music

1 Like

Reflections Vol. 2: Black Decelerant

Ambient experimental electro jazz? Whatever it is, I dig it

2 Likes

On Vinyl:
41oL2OWhg6L.AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65

18 Likes

I seem to be feeling particularly mellow today and that seems to be reflected in my current listening choices

16 Likes

Some guitar blues. Rather fine…

Larkin Poe
Peach
Tricki Woo Records

8 Likes

Is that the Floyd’s pig?

From 1981, one of THE great electronic albums, and the first ever to feature digital sampling. This is the 1992 “Roadrunner” CD release, which to my ears sounds better than all subsequent digital versions.

6 Likes

8 Likes

lol. No Stevie it’s a very out of focus bee.

1 Like

I met Bev Bevan as an early teen. I remember him being a really lovely guy and the first ‘Real’ drummer I ever met. I wonder if he wasn’t perhaps a subconscious inspiration to me later playing Drums🤔

2 Likes

That’s Brilliant, do you still play the drums.

1 Like

Sadly no🫤
I had a nasty fall at work some year ago landing badly on my wrists on a tiled concrete floor. It severely damaged the soft tissue in my wrists, which meant repetitive striking of drums became agony in minutes😖

1 Like

Kinky Friedman - Lasso from El Paso

Firstly a goodnight to the Kink a good innings and a legend.

What other album do you know that has this list of players such was Kinky’s standing.

T-Bone Burnett, Eric Clapton, Levon Helm, Mick Ronson, Ronnie Wood, Lowell George, Ringo Starr, Rick Danko, Dr. John, Gary Busey, Roger McGuinn.

IMG_9149

3 Likes
5 Likes

Av it!

5 Likes

Midnight Oil - 20000 Watt RSL - Beds Are Burning

7 Likes

Kurt Cobain was a member of Crazy Horse? Jeez he looked good for his age in the nineties

That sounds nasty, sympathies with you there.

1 Like