What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

The same applies to some extent to the wondrous music of Gloria Coates.

It’s not at all creepy music, or horror film music, but the glissandi call up and bring out deep, powerful feelings when one hears it.

Having said that, I’ve just put this on, and it’s amazing, truly awesome.

It makes me fly and flow through the night sky…

And the sound of the instruments on this recording is alive.

4 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

5 Likes

Led Zeppelin III. :smiling_face:

29 Likes

Greg Abate Quintet with Phil Woods. Saw Greg in concert this afternoon, bought the CD and had a chat with him. As per usual he very kindly signed it. Always a pleasure to catch him live on his UK visits.

4 Likes

It’ll be Donovan next…

9 Likes

Yep…

12 Likes

Moozoonsii : Inward 2022 (Bandcamp 44.1/24)

Moozoonsii are a three-piece act that hail from Nantes, France. Inward is a short (33 minute) blast of thunderously heavy instrumental prog metal that grabs you from the start and never lets you go. There is some great playing here, some of the bass playing has a bit of a Les Claypool (Primus) vibe, the drums are busy (but not overly so) and there are lots of percussion fills and they sound great in the mix. The guitar tone reminds me a lot of the post rock band Pelican but the tempos here are generally faster.

The album was well recorded and mastered and sounds fantastic on download.

If you like the heavier passages from Tool’s Fear Inoculum, then this could be just your thing. Available on Qobuz and Bandcamp for those who fancy a listen. This is the second of three releases on Bandcamp.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Giving this one a stream on Qobuz and very much enjoying it. I’m not sure what I was expecting but this is very good indeed. Some nice soaring vocals, some quite gentle passages then bursts of thunderous drumming and guitars.

Well worth a listen and I will definitely try some of their other releases.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Glad you like it.

The B-52’s - s/t (2011 re-issue, remastered, limited edition, numbered)

For the longest time my frame of reference for The B-52’s were the hits from Cosmic Thing that found purchase in the pop-culture musical firmament in the early '90s. The cocktails-and-winking party-hardy sound of that album was how I associated the band’s laissez faire approach to music until many years later when I stumbled upon “Rock Lobster” and my perspective shifted. Seeking out their debut from where “Rock Lobster” sprung, I was shocked at the guitar-driven, new-wave-by-the-beach sound, a musical style that had more bite and song writing that was taut and sharp with little indulgence. I later discovered this was the influence of original guitarist Ricky Wilson, whose surf-rock style suffuses every fibre of the tracks, allowing the distinct vocal flavors of Kate, Fred and Cindy to add a technicolor contrast to the wiry guitars.

I also discovered the abandonment of this style later on was due to the untimely death of Wilson to AIDs, a real tragedy. Obviously the band recovered and scaled greater commercial heights in the future but I’ll always wonder where they would have explored had Wilson’s dominant signature remained. We’ll never know, sadly.

I’ve enjoyed spinning this Mo-Fi pressing since I purchased it but found it rather dry and lean. Not so these days with my better set-up as it unveils a massive sound-stage with plenty of heft and depth. A delight to throw on.

20 Likes

Doh! Why didn’t you just say it’s on the Tzadik label.

A quick listen and this album sounds quite awesome. Thanks nice one.

2 Likes

Bob James Hands Down / 2015 Tappan Zee / Japan CD / VICJ61723

4 Likes

The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow
Record

11 Likes

Joe Cocker - Night Calls
A solid performance from Mr Cocker covering a number of great songs.

8 Likes

Playing Teramaze Eli: A Wonderful Fall From Grace over breakfast and Wordle for Mrs Q this morning. She is an instant fan…:+1:t3:

6 Likes

Bopping into the weekend with the Magnificent Thad Jones. Probably post-bop, but hey ho.

11 Likes

IMHO this guy has never made a bad album.

10 Likes

Jimmy Page / Robert Plant - No Quarter - CD US import (1994)

21 Likes

Eels - Beautiful Freak
Record

22 Likes

Leaving Mrs Q in bed after a tortuous week with A Perfect Circle and their second album Thirteenth Step

I have to go and be taxi to my sister in law, who is poorly at the moment. My brother has gone to fetch mother from her vacation back in Scotland today. I did the drop off two weeks ago, so he’s doing the pickup today.

7 Likes