What are your favourite foods?

Hmmm….!

Yes, go to Rene Lasserre’s palace to French gastronomy – forget the power cable!

4 Likes

one thing for sure:
i love the presentation of the haute cuisine food.
always seems like a painting…

:wink:

2 Likes

As part of the “returning to normal” process, we sallied out last night, for the first sit down meal in a while.

The place doesn’t sound that promising, being a wedding venue, hotel, restaurant and golf course combined, but we were tempted by the “Crab and Lobster Night” they were offering.

Blimey!

There was indeed crab and lobster in abundance, together with moules mariniėre, grilled prawns, langoustine, scallops, samphire, with plenty of toasted bruschetta for mopping up, together with a complimentary glass of Kir Royale.

Well off our normal restaurant circuit, but we’ll definitely be going back. :yum: :yum:

7 Likes

Fish & chips, one of my very fav dishes - I guess I’m a cheap date! A true comfort food linked to memories of childhood family days out at the beach and finishing off with fish & chips as an evening treat. Perhaps the best I’ve ever had were at the Gary Rhodes restaurant which were lovely!

8 Likes

Yes, but no need to go to high society dinners in expensive restaurants to enjoy good food.

On the old Forum, going back about 17 or 18 years ago, I think, there was a thread about the best fish and chips ever. A fair few of the participants on that thread – including me – all mentioned one outstanding fish and chip takeaway – a stall in Burrard Marina (or was it Granville Island? I can’t remember) market in Vancouver, Canada.

Said stall was run by a Chinese guy, and he cooked his chips in beef dripping. The cod was plump and dazzlingly white, the batter crisp and thin. The double-cooked chips were crisp on the outside, fluffy and steaming on the inside.

Back in July 1992, I was visiting Vancouver for 10 days, and chanced upon this stall. It was so delicious I returned a couple of days later for more! I wonder if he’s still there?

3 Likes

What a topic! I love all of the above (and yes, even more than hifi) but perhaps my favourites are a plateau of fruit de mer, or just fresh dressed crab, or moules frites or … who knows? Sadly I’m now at an age when I need to watch my calorie intake so each treat appears less often than before but is even more special than when I was younger!

5 Likes

Yes, it is one of my best favourites too! I still remember vividly the first time I had it with a bottle of dry Alsatian Riesling in Paris, wow!

2 Likes

That sounds superb Kev!

1 Like

Fried egg sandwich on British white bread. Rarely had now, but always a delight.

Apart from that fillet steak, cooked French bleu, no sauce, accompanied by sliced lyonnaise potatoes and haricot vert, lyonnaise again if you like your butter. A CDP to gently savour as the meal is consumed often adds to the experience.

4 Likes

Fred in Rotterdam 2 star. Their fish dishes are divine and their wine list will satisfy anybody.

6 Likes

I absolutely adore mackarel sashimi. Clean, fresh, light and very very good for you!

7 Likes

It’s not a need, it’s a choice

1 Like

I personally never go in expensive restaurants, apart when on holidays, with a nice view outside.
I feel not confortable in such places.

2 Likes

I don’t go to expensive restaurants that often but I do enjoy them. Pierre Gagnaire was 17 yrs ago. Tonight I have just been to a local Turkish restaurant with my wife. Remember, this is a forum ostensibly devoted to conspicuous consumption. There are lots of people who would be uncomfortable (appalled?) at the notion that some people spend thousands of pounds on a piece of wire to connect between two very expensive boxes. As I said, it’s a choice, not a need

6 Likes

I agree. I have nothing to add, you said all. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Well if you’ve been together that long she can’t be all that bad surely?

1 Like

A man of fine taste!

1 Like

Liver and onions … with crispy chips and hot savory gravy …

8 Likes