What are your favourite foods?

Espetos de sardinas.
Walking down to the beach in Malaga, you get a good whiff of something very promising.
Very simple and very nice and not entirely replicated anywhere else in the world.

7 Likes

Simple but delightful when done right Vietnamese pork roll.

5 Likes

I love that too. Some good ones in south of France recently. Miam Miam.

Hmmmm could be a long list, and no pictures, but I think my favourites tend to be savoury and relatively simple:

Sausage pie (decent quality sausages, v well fried / caramelised onions with the sausage on the bottom, mashed potato with butter mixed in on top, bit of butter and maybe cheese on top of that, whacked in the oven until crispy on top) with tomato ketchup

Delia’s buttery kedgeree (with smoked haddock)

My wife’s homemade roast tomato soup (had some today for lunch)

Pea and ham soup

Booths low GI (granary) loaf

Booths do a rather lovely black pudding scotch egg but only ever buy it when reduced (3 quid is just too much)

Steak from our own cows. Lamb from my 18-yr old’s flock

Roast chicken cooked with bacon on top, parsnips and spuds around

Granny Smiths :green_apple:

Lamb samosas

Bacon sandwich

5 Likes

:-1:

:sweat_smile::wink:

Even you carnivores might like this vegan special

GBK

Mushroom, onion and Swiss burger & fries from Green Bar & Kitchen in Fort Lauderdale. Made with Impossible or Beyond patty, swiss cheeze, roasted portabella, grilled onion, artisan greens, tomato + arugula pesto.

It’s the restaurant’s photo, not mine.

8 Likes

You might only live another 50 years on that wonderful mix of cuisine……best to splash out on some more hifi goodies while you can😉

This will help grow more food for our table :wink:

4 Likes

When is your wife moving into the greenhouse😉

Could be me if I get any more hifi! Though probably six months or more until it arrives

For anyone wanting pictures. Here is tea today - smoked salmon with potato and celeriac slices, with onions. Home grown onions, cabbage, purple cauliflower and sweet corn (celeriac not home grown but has been in the past)

3 Likes

Nice! good food does not have to be something exotic!

The king of red meats, the ribeye steak. Seared and sealed in a very hot dry pan, then cooked in butter, pepper and herbs it is just divine. Aldi do a good one, but the ones from our local butchers are just superb (they have a two for £15 offer every Friday :yum:)

7 Likes

I do like a beef steak, but I go more potty for pork.
A proper thick cut chop, on the bone with rind and cut more towards the shoulder - so there’s more smaller sections with fat. Rather than the other side with the large medallion and a tiny bit extra. Always more juicy.
I’m not fussy about breeds. Gloucester old spot a few years ago was trendy but nothing special.
My only concern is that the chop is from a gilt/sow rather than a swine/boar as the flavour from the female is just more sweeter and refined. Whereas the males taste bitter and like a yucky perfumed farm yard !!

6 Likes

Even better if it has a bit of kidney attached. Top choice

4 Likes

Dinner with family at a steak house in one of the suburbs of San Francisco:

Beef carpaccio:

Beef tartare:

Roasted bone marrow:

and finally the steaks:

Interesting story about the beef tartare - it was originated with the Mongolian soldiers who swept across Asia and Russia more than 800 years ago. They placed a piece of raw meat beneath their saddle before they went for a battle and ate it in the middle of the fighting. The meat of course was pounded and tenderized by the weight of the solder on the horseback.

Beef Tartare was then introduced to Germany by the Russians from their Tatar conquerors, it then travelled to the US from Hamburg, but some Americans could not eat raw beef, so they fried it, and it became Hamburger as we came to know it today.

4 Likes

Don’t forget desserts!

Cake with twin chocolates and salted butter caramel
With a coffee

5 Likes

Best steak indeed - this is a piece of Devon Ruby Red ribeye which I picked up at a top butchers in Ilfracombe and just about to cook

4 Likes

May I recommend the curly haired pig? It used to be a Lincolnshire breed, nowadays it’s fromAustria / Hungary / Serbia; I give you the mangalitza. It’s a dual purpose breed providing bacon as well as joints, and it has a good layer of fat, the leaf fat is especially prized. It’s becoming quite common in the U.K. where it is often cross bred. There are three blood lines: blond, swallow bellied and red; each are very tasty. The also make excellent charcuterie.

5 Likes

Interesting that nobody mentions curry as his favourite? Indian/Pakistani is one of the great cuisines in this world.

5 Likes

Fugu. Fresh at the fish market.
Nothing else like it.

3 Likes