What book are you reading right now?

I read his ‘detective’ novel, Hawksmoor, some years ago. It was challenging and I think I could do with rereading it to appreciate it better.

steve

He turned up as an answer on the Christmas final of University Challenge , Elric turned up as the question

1 Like

My hero!

1 Like

None of them are an ‘easy’ read, but Ackroyd’s novels bear re-reading.

1 Like

Good, blood thirsty reading whilst in day hospital for a few hours. It is very good on the political manoeuvring between and within USSR, Germany and England leading up to the attack. I am utterly amazed at Stalin utter conviction that the Nazis would not invade.

4 Likes

Again, not much to read but plenty to look at and laught to from the brilliant, surreal MS Paint artist:

3 Likes

502 pages on an unfamiliar (to me) time period in Russia.

3 Likes

Followed them on Twitter for a while, I hadn’t seen the book though, tempting! I really should buy it and/or a print, Ainsley Harriot, or the Bayeux Tapestry, Fred Dibnah… so many to choose from X)

1 Like

One of my favourite authors.

2 Likes

After Wolf Hall, in My opinion a great book

2 Likes

Really enjoyable series of books that would make an excellent TV series

As a lover of science fiction I don’t know why I waited so long to read this

Frank Herbert - Dune

4 Likes

A beautiful, human, sometimes funny and fantastical but heart-rending tale set in the Ottoman Empire (now Turkey) before, during and after the Great War.

4 Likes

Just finished this. Absolutely and somewhat unexpectedly wonderful bar one rather pretentious failure of an essay early on. Would love to talk further about but feel it might fall foul of the no politics rule.

About to move onto this.

2 Likes

I am sure that he would not have wanted his comments about an eleven year old girl to be made public in the way that they have.

I thought he was robbed of an Oscar for the last Potter film

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Now finished. IMHO would make a great film.
Split it over several films like L.O.T.R and Harry Potter.

3 Likes

I tried to read that ‘Jonathan Strange…’ book a few times, but gave up on each occasion (and probably earlier into the book each time). I don’t give up on books very often, but I feel no need to try again with this one.

1 Like

Great book. I have the audio version read by the man himself.

I was disappointed by the book, and more so by the tv adaptation. I thought it could have done with a good edit.