What brush woulld you recommend for your LP's

So you never wash your car then?

Ortofon Red

The velvet ones are fine, although they do create a lot of static which attracts dust. It’s the carbon fibre ones.

I take it from your comment and name you were born in 1906?

This is the one I used to use when i was in a High school with Nagaoka record cleaning spray! :laughing:

2 Likes

You probably know, but the Hunt EDA design has longer carbon fibre filaments either side of a velvety/plush pad.

I did think the carbon fibre filaments seem coarser tipped than they did years ago, may be my imagination when I find an old one maybe I’ll do an A/B with an album I’m not that bothered about!

I’d consider the scratches I saw extremely superficial micro-scratches/scuffs and have to wonder if they’d even be audible, but I’m not keen on taking the chance with new or older well kept vinyl.

1 Like

Is the Sonic Broom a current product?

1 Like

Hi AC
Yes mate my first one lasted nearly forty years and I’ve just bought a couple one and for spare.
Use dry though no fluid.
It’s in the wrist action. :wink: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Actually, just realised that the newest ‘Hunt EDA’ brush I got was actually this very similar design:

Several of the low star reviews comment on scratching but they are a small percentage overall.

Makes you wonder if there were bad batches or others aren’t really scrutinising the surface post ‘cleaning’

No brush fibres on Sonic Broom :wink: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Out of interest did you buy recently from Amazon or elsewhere (the former only has a few 3rd party offers).

1 Like

@Alley_Cat
Nipper does them online £19.99 :wink: :+1:t2:
Or
Hi Fix

1 Like

Every now and then I still use my old Discwasher brush that I bought when I was still at school out in the States (would have been around '82-83). It’s handy to have nearby, as is the matching stylus brush.

3 Likes

I like the curved edges I imagine that does the collect and lift too. :+1:t2:

All in the wrist action… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks - will investigate.

1 Like

I’ve got the discwasher stylus brush but not the record cleaner.

My old vibrating AT-637 stylus cleaner brush is somehow solid, not sure if I used some fluid on it once (maybe discwasher?) and that caused an issue or if it’s just old and gone stiff. Have often wondered if I should try to replace the brush pad with something similar. The vibrating mechanism still works just that the tip doesn’t penetrate the pad as it used to.

Audio-T have an older article about it suggesting it was only discontinued because the manufacturing tooling broke.

Oh you have the stand, I have two pads and the stylus brush, liquid etc, but no stand, they still work pretty well!

There was a bigger stand you could get as well that also held the Zerostat gun. The Zerostat looked fun but I didn’t feel it worked very well, so I saved some $ and went for the smaller set.

I have the Zerostat bought back in the 80’s, it did/does work but you have to follow the instructions to the letter and it always seemed too much of a faff to use regularly. I recall purchasing the Discwasher and replacement fluid in the US where it was significantly cheaper. Wish I’d gone for the stand!