What brush woulld you recommend for your LP's

I have been using a non-static brush that has an encapsulated rotating metal handle. Though I think I may have scratched a couple of LP’s with it.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.

I also use the same brush without incident; not sure how you managed to scratch your records if you keep the brush horizontal and only apply light pressure.

1 Like

Dear Brown_Owl,

I am a ham-fisted bugger, and after watching a few youtube videos and one from my retailer, I have learnt my errors and the correct way of doing so.

I will sit in the corner until I learn better procedures.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.

2 Likes

The Ortofon one is the best I’ve ever used.

1 Like

I have been using this ever since I got into vinyl spinning.
8_5d4124fe-7123-44d8-9e7e-48e4f0c0dc56

5 Likes

?

I have used a Decca Brush for many years.

Not damaged an LP yet… :thinking:

4 Likes

Those carbon fibre brushes scratch the vinyl as soon as you touch the surface. Never use them.

Roll on the “I’ve used them for years without any issues”

1 Like

I have the very same brush as IRM, who posted a couple of hours ago. But I bought mine from the Amazon.de (German) site, so it’s trademarked ‘Telefunken’.

As well as using the brush on records, I clean the stylus before each LP side with Stylus Clear liquid, which comes as a small brush in a bottle - it’s just like a nail varnish brush and bottle, but it wouldn’t do to mix them up!

Used the Sonic Broom for over forty years.
It sweeps up and lifts away none of that collecting then sweeping over the album “pointless”
This collects and lifts away. :+1:t2:

8 Likes

Perhaps “parallel to the record surface” is a better description. I put the record on the platter and get it spinning before lowering the brush horizontally onto the surface and applying light pressure.

2 Likes

Ah, got you.

Just read my post above, @Count.d .

YMMV, etc.

Trying To Be Agreeable, But Failing

1 Like

Brush your vinyl perpendicular to the grooves. Get a bright torch and see the fine scratches.

Back in 1970s we used them types of brush but always found they swept the dust up into a neat line which then remained on the record like a radar sweep. Handy for seeing enemy missiles approaching but the rusty nail in the cartridge always got though…

7 Likes

I used the Hunt EDA brushes for many years - I honestly don’t recall them causing scratches years ago when my eyesight was arguably better, though possibly in darker rooms.

I bought a ‘new one’ 5-6 years ago (maybe different manufacturing) and I immediately noticed fine scratches on virtually new LPs after using it - possibly inaudible sonically but I stopped using it. I wondered if it wasn’t the carbon fibre filaments but rather the ‘velvet pad’ which seemed to be stuck on as a rectangular piece with rough edges. When I find an older one I’ll check if on those the ‘velvet’ was wrapped onto the handle in a more U shaped fashion without rough edges potentially in contact with the record.

Whether it’s always happened or not I rarely use a brush these days.

So you never wash your car then?

Ortofon Red

The velvet ones are fine, although they do create a lot of static which attracts dust. It’s the carbon fibre ones.

I take it from your comment and name you were born in 1906?