What cable is this?

It has a DIN4 and the band is closest to the DIN, so I think it’s for connecting a Naim pre and PSU to a power amp with RCA Phono inputs.

This is interesting, I just came back from visiting a friend who also uses Naim equipment. He went to hook up his old Nait 1 for me to have a listen to and pulled out the very same cable in discussion on this thread. The chord chrysalis. The funny thing was that it didn’t work either! Must be a common problem. I said I’d take it home and fix it for him.

It looks to me like the rca plugs are the issue. They seem to be constructed in a way where they would place tension on the small signal cable if not carefully put together, also when they unscrew, it has potential to twist the cable.

:tada: All done.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting. Hopefully mine are as simple to fix.

1 Like

Would an RCA to DIN have the potential of solving a ground loop issues?

I have 2 DACs (Qutest, bluesound node2i) connected to my SN2, both are currently connected with RCA to RCA.
Both are not grounded devices (2 prong power supplies).
For some reason the Node2i creates a ground loop. No issue with the Qutest.
I solve this by adding a ground to the Node2i - I use a spare rca socket and connect the outer shell directly to the ground of the power strip I use.

Wondering if I use an RCA to DIN could be a more elegant solution with a potential for an added benefit in sound quality (though the node is not for critical listening)

My memory of those particular Chord Company RCA plugs is that they were always a very tight fit in the socket. So to remove them a slight twist was often necessary, with the inevitable risk of damaging the joint over time. Nice neat renovation!

1 Like

Have you tried running the Node via SPDIF into the Qutest instead of into the amp? I would guess it might sound better than using the Node’s internal DAC, and it might resolve your grounding issue by removing the connection to the preamp.

Maybe, but since the Qutest doesn’t have a remote it will be less convenient (I just use the node for TV sound and occasional radio streaming, SQ is not a big issue).

Would lack of a remote matter? Apart from occasional input switching I’m not sure why you would need one for the Qutest. I just thought it might conveniently deal with your grounding issue, without the need for that extra RCA connection.

The switch would be daily,
The current solution solves the ground loop and is fine. Just thought maybe the DIN cable would be an alternative solution.

Yep, that would do it.

I just had some correspondence with a cable manufacturer that claims that 75ohm impedance matching is only important for digital interconnects.
Is that also the best practice by Naim?
I guess Naim claims differently as my supernait is all analog and has DIN connectors?

Yes, a 75ohm impedance match is important for coaxial s/pdif.

otherwise a close impedance match between socket and plug is really important, and that what Naim try to achieve through the use of DINs.

Sorry I was not clear. The cable guys claim that 75ohm and impedance matching it not important for analog connections.
Can you clarify Naim’s approach to analog?

Yes, Naim reckon impedance matching with connectors is important. It’s one of the advantages of DIN (and also BNC which they like for analogue phono use).

You can read more in the FAQ. Start here;

1 Like

To follow up on my own question, I just got a RCA to DIN cable, which I had custom built by bluejeans cables (great support and service), and I am happy to report that it indeed solved the ground loop I had with the bluesound node2i. I removed the extra ground cable I had connected to the Node2i. One less cable in the clutter makes me happy :slight_smile:

I actually got 2 cables from bluejeans and will also use it with my Chord Qutest in anticipation for some SQ improvement. I’m replacing a tellurium ultra black RCA-RCA cable so it will certainly be interesting to compare it with the bluejeans RCA-DIN.

Note: The bluejeans cable is not impedance matched. I had a lot of discussion with bluejeans who claim that for analog it is not that critical and that it would be problematic to use 75ohm cables and squeeze them into the DIN connector. The cable used is called MSA-1 and is about 38Ohm, the DIN connector is Switchcraft 12CL5MX.

I wonder if cables from Chord have better impedance matching

1 Like

Hi - I’ve been having a look at my cable and was wondering how you get from pic 2 to pic 3. I have a feeling the cables were soldered and I have just pulled them apart (oops!). Thanks.

Hi, the small gap in the pin will allow you to place the tip off a soldering iron in to melt the existing solder, then slide your new stripped wire in there whilst the heat is on. Tin the wire first though for a good joint. Don’t worry about pulling the old wire out of the pin. Near impossible.

1 Like

@quad57 I have both Chrysalis and Cobra cables in my rig. The Cobra was the next level up from Chrysalis and has a green outer sheath rather than the grey of the Chrysalis.

cheers
alf

1 Like

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.