What cable is this?

Looking at it and noting the direction arrows it’s actually a DIN to RCA. I agree it’s a Chord Chrysalis but the Chrysalis used the same cable that Naim use in the Lavender, until Naim bought up all the remaining stock. A friend of mine claims to have sold it to them, he did work for a cable supplier at the time so it’s feasible.

1 Like

It’s best to keep the earth common as long as possible but you do also need some separated tails to take into account the fact that some RCA Phonos can be placed quite far apart.

I recently bought a Naim RCA to Din lead to connect my Rega Aria to my amplifier. It looks very much like the Chrysalis, is well made and has good solid RCA plugs. It comes in a cheap cardboard box and cost £115. I suspect it’s one of those products that people overlook because they don’t come in a fur lined crate and cost an arm and a leg.

1 Like

Hi HH - can you take a picture of it so I know what to look for? Thanks.

Here you go. This is the shortest (1m long) version.

1 Like

There are pictures of the Naim interconnects in the FAQ here;

When I do a search there are so many different cables that come up under “Naim din rca” and I suspect that they aren’t what they say they are. Do they need to be bought through a Naim dealer? Thanks.

If new, then yes, through a Naim dealer. Some dealers offer them for sale online too via their website.

1 Like

An online search is indeed confusing. This is advertised as a Naim cable but it doesn’t look remotely like mine. Are dealers passing things off as Naim? It’s most odd.

Maybe these are the latest kind from Naim? I see they offer a source interconnect which appear to be the usual lavender/grey cable, and an amp interconnect which uses what appears to be SNAIC type cable.

Quite possibly. The one in my photo is the standard RCA to Din, for connecting a non Naim source to a Naim Din preamp input.

It has a DIN4 and the band is closest to the DIN, so I think it’s for connecting a Naim pre and PSU to a power amp with RCA Phono inputs.

This is interesting, I just came back from visiting a friend who also uses Naim equipment. He went to hook up his old Nait 1 for me to have a listen to and pulled out the very same cable in discussion on this thread. The chord chrysalis. The funny thing was that it didn’t work either! Must be a common problem. I said I’d take it home and fix it for him.

It looks to me like the rca plugs are the issue. They seem to be constructed in a way where they would place tension on the small signal cable if not carefully put together, also when they unscrew, it has potential to twist the cable.

:tada: All done.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting. Hopefully mine are as simple to fix.

1 Like

Would an RCA to DIN have the potential of solving a ground loop issues?

I have 2 DACs (Qutest, bluesound node2i) connected to my SN2, both are currently connected with RCA to RCA.
Both are not grounded devices (2 prong power supplies).
For some reason the Node2i creates a ground loop. No issue with the Qutest.
I solve this by adding a ground to the Node2i - I use a spare rca socket and connect the outer shell directly to the ground of the power strip I use.

Wondering if I use an RCA to DIN could be a more elegant solution with a potential for an added benefit in sound quality (though the node is not for critical listening)

My memory of those particular Chord Company RCA plugs is that they were always a very tight fit in the socket. So to remove them a slight twist was often necessary, with the inevitable risk of damaging the joint over time. Nice neat renovation!

1 Like

Have you tried running the Node via SPDIF into the Qutest instead of into the amp? I would guess it might sound better than using the Node’s internal DAC, and it might resolve your grounding issue by removing the connection to the preamp.

Maybe, but since the Qutest doesn’t have a remote it will be less convenient (I just use the node for TV sound and occasional radio streaming, SQ is not a big issue).

Would lack of a remote matter? Apart from occasional input switching I’m not sure why you would need one for the Qutest. I just thought it might conveniently deal with your grounding issue, without the need for that extra RCA connection.

The switch would be daily,
The current solution solves the ground loop and is fine. Just thought maybe the DIN cable would be an alternative solution.