What cable is this?

Yep, that would do it.

I just had some correspondence with a cable manufacturer that claims that 75ohm impedance matching is only important for digital interconnects.
Is that also the best practice by Naim?
I guess Naim claims differently as my supernait is all analog and has DIN connectors?

Yes, a 75ohm impedance match is important for coaxial s/pdif.

otherwise a close impedance match between socket and plug is really important, and that what Naim try to achieve through the use of DINs.

Sorry I was not clear. The cable guys claim that 75ohm and impedance matching it not important for analog connections.
Can you clarify Naimā€™s approach to analog?

Yes, Naim reckon impedance matching with connectors is important. Itā€™s one of the advantages of DIN (and also BNC which they like for analogue phono use).

You can read more in the FAQ. Start here;

1 Like

To follow up on my own question, I just got a RCA to DIN cable, which I had custom built by bluejeans cables (great support and service), and I am happy to report that it indeed solved the ground loop I had with the bluesound node2i. I removed the extra ground cable I had connected to the Node2i. One less cable in the clutter makes me happy :slight_smile:

I actually got 2 cables from bluejeans and will also use it with my Chord Qutest in anticipation for some SQ improvement. Iā€™m replacing a tellurium ultra black RCA-RCA cable so it will certainly be interesting to compare it with the bluejeans RCA-DIN.

Note: The bluejeans cable is not impedance matched. I had a lot of discussion with bluejeans who claim that for analog it is not that critical and that it would be problematic to use 75ohm cables and squeeze them into the DIN connector. The cable used is called MSA-1 and is about 38Ohm, the DIN connector is Switchcraft 12CL5MX.

I wonder if cables from Chord have better impedance matching

1 Like

Hi - Iā€™ve been having a look at my cable and was wondering how you get from pic 2 to pic 3. I have a feeling the cables were soldered and I have just pulled them apart (oops!). Thanks.

Hi, the small gap in the pin will allow you to place the tip off a soldering iron in to melt the existing solder, then slide your new stripped wire in there whilst the heat is on. Tin the wire first though for a good joint. Donā€™t worry about pulling the old wire out of the pin. Near impossible.

1 Like

@quad57 I have both Chrysalis and Cobra cables in my rig. The Cobra was the next level up from Chrysalis and has a green outer sheath rather than the grey of the Chrysalis.

cheers
alf

1 Like

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.