What cable

So I can move my speakers at last
If I go around the room I would need 15mtrs but it I take up the carpets and go from my hifi position to either side of the fire place I would only require 6-7 mtr.
So from my SN2 would you suggest NAC A5 but it’s not easy to bend …or Tellurium Q Black II
Speakers are my old B&W CDM7 but looking to change soon
Many thanks

Hi - ideally you should try some different types. My favourite with my speakers is Chord Odyssey.

Good luck.

Lindsay

1 Like

I’d endorse Lindsay’s choice but also have a look at Shawline, both should go under the carpet or around the room if you wanted and are easier to work with. Personally I wouldn’t consider an unshielded cable any more.

1 Like

I used to run speaker cables across the floor under a large rug. I cut a gap in some underlay, then put another layer of underlay on top, followed by the rug. NACA5 has a very tough plastic sheath, so it should be OK.

2 Likes

TQ black, works brilliantly with Naim

1 Like

If you are about to change your speakers, I would hold off moving things around for now, stick with the cables you have; and buy cable when you have the new speakers at home. I’m not sure if that is possible for you, but I’ve long suspected that speaker cable can be used as a sort of fine tuning mechanism for the speakers; and what works well with one speaker may not be ideal for another.

Peter

2 Likes

I’ve never had the patience to listen to a bunch of different speaker cables. And unless you have a dealer that will loan them to you - do you really want to buy stuff you won’t use? So instead I spent a lot of money and bought Naim SuperLumina cable. Maybe I over-spent. But I have the satisfaction of knowing what it is. It sounds fine!

I’d NOT recommend NACA5 for long runs simply because it’s so difficult to work with. Sure people get it to work, but having owned it I prefer something that is much more limp and will lay on the floor rather flat. People do report liking Tellurium, and it’s ‘ribbon’ format seems that it would work well under carpet.

1 Like

I’m using Witch Hat Phantom, sounds great and is flexible too…

3 Likes

Don’t think the OP is looking to invest that sort of money, Bart. 15m of SL would be a lot more than the current system cost!

Stick with the £30/m suggestions and you won’t go far wrong.

1 Like

We used A5 under the carpet for a good few years, cutting a channel in the underlay. It wasn’t entirely invisible though, and was a bit lumpy. Of the other cables I’ve tried, Chord Odyssey made the music bland and uninteresting, while TQB was very good. The Witch Hat is another one worth looking at, judging by reports. It’s probably best to use something bendy really.

I can highly recommend the WitchHat Phantom cable it’s the only cable that made me part with my NACA5.

Very flexible, good price, keeps the Naim sound and sounds superb.

WitchHat do a 30 day money back if you are not happy.

1 Like

I wasn’t recommending SL…its a very significant “investment.” But working with NACA5 did pain me, although as others report is certainly can be worked!

1 Like

After having NACA5 between my SN2 and B&W 805D3’s I have reverted to Kimber’s 4TC and am finding I prefer it. This might go against the grain of other Naim users but my experience in a few systems now has been that a thinner gauge cable seems to drive stand mount speakers better and that thicker cables works better with floor standers. There are very few cable manufacturers that advocate this (for obvious business reasons presumably) but Kimber’s own website does and is what I have found myself. Russ Andrews (the sole distributer in the UK) used to make this recommendation too but has stopped doing so it seems. My thoughts for what they are worth. PS - the 4TC is very flexible too.

1 Like

TQ Black. Sounds great and is as bendy as a bendy thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.