What coffee are you drinking, how do you brew it and why?

My favourite coffee is from Mozzo in Southampton, their black label blend. Grind the beans myself, use filtered water, boiled then left to cool slightly, then use an Aeropress, add cold milk to taste.

Exactly the same as the Flair. I actually boil some of the parts with the water on the hob.

I have tried some monkey poo coffee but I don’t know how fresh it was.

It was pretty good!

2 Likes

some find it the best coffee in the world. But better not imagine the origin of it :mouse::monkey_face:

1 Like

Nor the price

1 Like

A question was raised a few posts back about tea drinking.
As side issue (yes a tiny thread drift, if I may)

I’m suggesting that tea drinking is not so popular in Europe, USA & pretty much everywhere else because people don’t know how to make it.
Restaurants, hotels & homes that serve a ‘hot’ (warm) water jug together with a cup & packet tea bag on a string to dangle in the water. That stands no chance of making the tea actually brew, it just colours & adds a touch of flavour to the water, people even let the water go tepid before they dangle the tea tampon, yuk.
So can we help educate these folks in how easy it is to make pukka tea ???

1 Like

Perhaps we need a tea thread. I usually drink coffee these days, but I’ve come across some weird and wonderful tea in India.
I have always assumed that the predominance of tea in the UK was historical, originating from China, and grown extensively in India under the Brits, although why we didn’t adopt coffee from Africa and the Middle East at the same time, I have no idea.

For a two-person pot (integral tea holder).
I use an instant hot water tap, which is around 95 degrees C.
Warm the pot, empty hot water into cups / mugs
Weigh out 4gm tea leaves of your choice, place in tea pot and add hot water
Wait 3 minutes and pour into cups.
(If you wish may repeat twice more with the same leaves)

But I will be trying out the Aeropress

My fault I think for mentioning aeropress tea brewing.
I found it was a decent way of brewing rooibos loose tea, I prefer loose tea to bags personally.
I brew it inverted and use a fine stainless steel filter.
After brewing you can push out the tea in to the compost bin and the little that remains can be rinsed off easily. The filter being steel is of course reuseable for many years.
I have a Grohe Red 99c tap in the kitchen, this is also filtered to soften it. Also have a seperate filter Grohe blue for cold water and the kettle.
If I’m making coffee I use a Fellow Stagg gooseneck kettle, handy as it works on an induction hob and has a thermometer built in the lid so you can adjust water temp to the beans.
Aeropress tea I just tried out as an experiment as prior to that I brewed fine tea using a cloth “sock” that sits in the pot or cup. This works well but is a faff to clean up.

1 Like

I should also add that I use Acaia Pearl Model S scales for measuring out and also for checking flow rate when brewing. USB charged and bluetooth for saving brews for later reference. Also connects to other devices like the Stagg electric kettle.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

Tea making infusion (brewing) temperature varies according to the type of tea used.
In my house we invariably drink black tea & our standard alternative is Rooibos (an ‘infusion’ type herbal tea), the process is the same.
Black tea requires to be initially infused at 100’C & to remain at around 95’C for the time to complete the brew.
But fear not, its not at all complicated … remarkably simple in fact
You need a kettle for boiling water, teapot (china is best) & tea of choice - loose tea please, teabags are yuk.
Pour boiling water into pot to warm it (hot), then discard that water.
Add tea, I use a 15mg scoop for two large cups & heaped scoop for two mugs. I like strong tea.
Pour on boiling water, just enough for the amount needed, & let brew for at least 3, preferably 5 minutes.
Pour the infused tea into the cup/mug & add milk (small) & sugar (preferably none) to taste.

1 Like

i like black coffee in the morning and after the lunch. But in the evening i like verbena infusion. It aids digestion.
I am also polish, lived there young and my parents are polish.
In Poland :poland: people drink a lot of tea, more than coffee. So not only in UK.

1 Like

We do like good coffee. We’ve been using Nespresso for about 5 years now, as it’s acceptable quality and there is no cleanup other than collecting the capsules and shipping them back (free of charge) to Nespresso. We have not the patience for a burr grinder and espresso machine.

On weekends I’ll often take a bit more time and do a pour over (drip brew) of Illy grounds in a cone filter. I tdo it around 200-204F. I used to just bring water to a boil and pour – definitely better product with slightly cooler water.

2 Likes

Found a new coffee shop when I was auditioning my SN 2 and absolutely fell in love with these beans.

It’s Dolce organic beans from Chiasso Coffee Roasters in Devenport…Auckland…NZ, stunning dark chocolate aftertaste, absolutely addictive.

2 Likes

My choice of teas: normally Darjeeling single estate, but now trying ‘pu erh’