What Comes First Looks Or Sound Quality?

I would guess that this is correct…on the Clearaudio TT the arm looks ‘right’

From a style point of view , I guess they were meant for each other :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: bless

Ha! You can imagine the reaction from Terry and Nigel when I told them what colour I wanted the top plate on my Loricraft plinth…

14 Likes

Well it looks good to me…

Very good, suspect sounds as good as it looks

My views are that speakers are almost part of the furniture and the turntable is at the peak of the system, they should both look good and sound good .

3 Likes

I would be able to live with that. Very easy on the eye.
I have a Gyro, which is heading off down the heavy engineering path of aesthetics, I like it. I could not live with the Kronos even though it probably sounds phenomenal, it has gone too far down that same path.

1 Like

Minty fresh. Looks good enough to eat.

3 Likes

It may stick on the ribs a little though

Looks great Richard. A lovely TT. What made you go for the mint green paintwork ?

1 Like

Thanks James. My original wish was something between BMC almond green like the colour of the Moggie I learned to drive on, and California sage like another car I used to drive. However, this was how one of the test paints turned out and I loved it, just like that, so we stuck with it.

1 Like

My take on this conundrum is that good design is a prerequisite for both looks and SQ. For some there is no room for compromise on either, but for me it’s a trade off, SQ being more important than aesthetics, and I expect first rate design of both aspects.

1 Like

Ah I see. Good choice :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, you’re the first person to recognize the books! I have taken a few photos of my system or at least parts of it, with them in the background. Apart from the complete Peanuts, there is a nice collection of Calvin and Hobbes and a few other things.

1 Like

Off in a completely different vein, I have a two book set of all of Gary Larson’s Far Side comics - a truly warped genius. Pandemic also brought on not one but two Palawan Press books. Stunning, but shockingly expensive (mostly) automotive books. The one I bought that is stunning - all about Facel Vega. A car I knew next to nothing about, but probably one of the few post-war cars that continued as rolling art-work.

If it doesn’t look pleasing to me I wouldn’t buy no matter how good the sound.

6 Likes

The pandemic gave me more time to read, too. Among the books I’ve read was “As little design as possible” about Dieter Rams, the designer of many things for Braun, including some Hi-Fi.
I will ask the owner of my local Comic shop about Gary Larsons work.

1 Like

I can recommend the box set “The complete Far Side”, it’s a great coffee table set

5 Likes

Favourite - Bummer Of A Birthmark

5 Likes

My favourite Larson:

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, do you mean it must positively look good, or just not look bad? There are broadly three considerations: actively looking good, neutral/not looking bad, and actively looking bad. I think where a majority people struggle is the looking bad, rather than demanding that hifi actually look good.

2 Likes

It has to look good in the sense that it appeals to me. What that means in practice varies of course. I think tha black boxes look good. Chrome bumper even more so and Chord not. I Think Fraim looks bad and I think isoblue looks good. Just to name a few.

1 Like