What concert have you been to in 2020?

So, who went to the New Year’s Concert 2020 in Vienna? :slight_smile: :tada:

Er, here in the UK it’s still 2019…

And we ain’t had Brexit just yet :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

Marty McFly?

3 Likes

Are you telling me you built a time machine out of a Delorean?

1 Like

You are early. But a lot of nice things planned for 2020. The New Year Concert would be something for a bucket list…

1 Like

Yes, looking forward to Andris Nelsons - must surely be better than the 2019 NYD concert.

Not a Thielemann fan?
If you are going to 2020 NYD concert, report back!

Early bird gets the worm BertyBird. :grin:

1 Like

For those who can’t be there, the New Year’s Day concert is Live from Vienna on BBC 2 (in the UK) starting at 10.15am.

PROGRAM
Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 4 in A Minor, Op. 23
Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24 (Spring)
Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 (Kreutzer)

PERFORMERS
Anne-Sophie Mutter violin
Lambert Orkis piano

Radiant looking Mutter played all three Beethoven Sonatas. Expressive but errs in more romantic side but Kreutzer Sonata was particularly well done.

Glad to catch her live performance as I have read elsewhere that she might go sabbatical.

She played two more Beethoven tunes and violin transcription of Cinderella Liberty by John Williams which I thought was better than saccharine sweet original rendition.

2 Likes

I went to George Li with the Moscow Philharmonic under Yuri Simonov. They played Rachmaninov 3rd piano concerto and Tchaikovsky’s 6th Symphony. It was not as pleasurable as expected. The conductor was missing a bit prat and in the piano concerto there were timing issues as well, which is killing the concerto as it flourishes on precise timing. The encore of George was great but it didn’t compensate for the average rest of the evening… a pity…, a new artist like him should have a podium to shine…

The Teskey Brothers, Institute 2, Birmingham, 28th Jan 2020

Saw these guys last night, almost full venue, and a great set.
For those that like blues with a soul angle, check them out, very chilled.
The brass section (trombone and trumpet) really gave the sound a lovely soul edge.
An additional highlight was their cover of Sabbath’s ‘War Pigs’, a special on the night in honour of them playing Brum, definitely not something anyone would have expected, but a great rendition.

The wonderful Kevin Burke in the Pepper Canister in Dublin.

Consummate fiddle playing and a great raconteur.

.sjb

The wonderful Robyn Hitchcock in Whelans Dublin.

A consummate guitar player, singer and raconteur.

.sjb

1 Like

Bert,

Li will be making a Chicago debut this year and was thinking skipping this but now I am curious to check him out. He’ll be playing some Schumann and Haydn here so there will be no orchestra backing.

Thanks for the report!

1 Like

What a perfect performance in Dublin.
Interesting that Burke is a Londoner. Not Irish.

Interesting in what way?

.sjb

Milos Karadaglic. Birmingham last week. Bach, The Beatles, and lots in between.

Milos-jan18-2020

1 Like

A privilege to attend the Keeley Forsyth gig last night at PinUps, Islington. Art & music collided in a mesmerising performance. My reference points were Scott & Leonard before the gig and now I’m fully on board with the stark soundscapes created by Keeley. I read of possible presentations with Maxine Peake, which would be wonderful to see. Matthew Bourne playing his two footed, pumped Harmonium (also cello) sounded glorious, as well as the guitar & the main cello player.

2 Likes

Excellent as we know the album is gorgeous.

1 Like