What concert have you been to in 2022?

Go Go Penguin at the Barbican - great set but maybe not quite hitting the heights. Nice lights - UFO Kings Lynn Tech c 1972 I believe!

I had the same ticket, was having a weekend in Newcastle with my wife with this concert on the Saturday night (up from Nottingham on the train). Not heard yet on a new date but quite doubtful that we will be able to make it. Still had an enjoyable weekend in Newcastle though.

1 Like

Hi @DrDavid, glad you managed to enjoy the weekend in Newcastle despite the concert disappointment, we did too!:wink:
I suspect it might be difficult to arrange a new date, as all the Spell Songs artists will have their own touring commitments, we are due to see Kris Drever with Lau in a week or so.
:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:for a convenient new date.

1 Like

Yes we were thinking the same about the difficulty of rearranging for just one date. At the time I thought the best bet was immediately after the two Cadogan Hall dates when the musicians might still be together and the Sage looked to be free for the Wednesday and Thursday night, but this is now long gone.

Simply Red, 8th February at Newcastle Arena.

We made it to see the GoGo Penguins.
What a great night. They were fantastic live. They were very open about being happy to be touring again after a 2 year hiatus. Their enthusiasm defiantly came through in the performance.

Here’s a few snaps, from the gig.

For anyone interested, this was their set list for the night.

They played in two parts. Each was about an hour, with a break of 20-30 mins as interval between the two sets.

On the night, the audience were really appreciative and a very positive applause persuaded an extra piece, as an encore. Something new they had recently written and not yet released. (Sorry, cannot now remember the name of this piece). So, one more piece was played, not shown.

Those following GoGo Penguins may know the drummer is new to the band, just a few weeks ago. All three musical were excellent. But, I thought the percussionist was particularly good, given he had just a few weeks to come up to speed with all these pieces, prior to the start of their touring. Well done Jon Scott :+1:

Here is a snap - of the three guys - enjoying refreshment after an evenings hard work. (Thanks you guys, for your kind permission)

Finally, we were delighted to pick up this 10” vinyl EP - “Ocean in a Drop”.

I’ve been aware for this for a while and unable to get a copy. So it’s was a delight to find them selling this on the “merch” table. It’s the only piece we haven’t got in our collection of their work.

A bunch of super guys. Brilliant music, very well performed. In all, a great night out.

Might go and see them again. That good.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Concerts planned for 2022

Jazz guitarist Ulf Wakenius in Bethlehem Church, Gothenburg. Nice!

2 Likes

@ratrat
Thanks for the photos, don’t know the band but will certainly check out!

Just informed that Lau gig Wednesday night cancelled due to one member of the band testing + for Covid.:frowning:

Last night I went to the Royal Festival Hall, on London’s Southbank and heard/saw Tommy Emmanuel CGP in concert.

I must lead a very sheltered life (especially music-wise) because, until last August when Peter @Cymbiosis played a track from TE’s Accomplice One album on my freshly Karouselled LP12 last, I had never heard of Mr Emmanuel. My first thought at the demo; “Wow, my deck sounds gooooood”. Quickly followed by my second thought; “Jeez, that guy can play”!

I have never been a particularly avid follower of solo acoustic guitar music as a genre, although over the years I’ve been lucky enough to see/hear live performances from some terrific guitarists; Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, BB King, Mark Knopfler, Steve Howe all immediately spring to mind.

Jerry Douglas (himself a clearly very talented Dobro guitarist) introduced Tommy “10,000 notes per square yard” Emmanuel onto the stage. From the first few notes it was clear that Tommy is a guitarist with an incredible skill-set. Playing techniques I didn’t even know existed, making use of the guitar in ways I’d never considered possible. It all added up to be (as my buddy said after the concert) “absolutely jaw-dropping”. All played solo, for the most part with no accompaniment.

At one stage he demonstrated how he dispensed with a support band by playing (firstly) the bass line, adding the ‘drums’ (beating on the guitar’s sound board), then adding the rhythm guitar and finally topped off with the ‘lead guitar’. All performed solo on an acoustic guitar with no outside manipulation (other than a carefully miked set-up). He carried this astonishing technique through a Beatles medley where we could clearly enjoy McCartney’s base lines, Lennon’s rhythms, Harrison’s lead (but technically better than George IMHO) and a necessarily (he only has two hands!) simplified Ringo beat. Tommy carried the medley seamlessly through into a stunning rendition of ‘Classical Gas’. Absolutely brought the house down.

Tommy is touring the UK for the next couple of weeks with dates at Bexhill (tonight), Basingstoke, Bury St. Edmunds, Exeter, Birmingham, Cardiff, York, New Brighton, Buxton, Gateshead and Manchester.

I would seriously urge any budding guitarists, or anyone with the slightest interest in guitar music to go and see him. Astonishing! This concert was one of, if not THE most incredible musical experience I’ve ever attended. My ears and eyes have truly been opened.

Oh, and CGP? In 1999 Chet Atkins ‘awarded’ Tommy Emmanuel and only 4 other ‘special’ guitarists the title of “Certified Guitar Player”.
Sorry for the long post.

3 Likes

AC/DC tribute band, Livewire. A sell out show at The Met in Bury. Both band and audience obviously enjoying gigging again.

A great night with a set list full of classics

La Bohème English Touring Opera @ Hackney Empire. First night of their nationwide tour. Didn’t take photos during the opera, but here’s a couple of shots from our seats, showcasing the lovely theatre, celebrating its 120th year.

Lovely production, excellent Mimi (Francesca Chiejina take a bow) and April Koyejo-Audiger as Musetta plus a wonderful invention of Parpignol as a puppet show mimicking the main characters.

Lovely night at the opera.
Pub afterward, but one of Hackney’s hipster bars now - really nice young people but, by god, what is this ‘craft’ rubbish…had to get home for a real drink!

1 Like

Well Sons of Kemet as a threee piece. Theon Cross (tuba) couldn’t play and it was absolutely amazing the sounds Shabaka Hutchings made with just one sax. Marvellous drumming which didn’t dominate but there was some amazing interplay and some tribal drumming.

What a wonderful night after just under 2 years without live gigs.

.sjb

2 Likes

Hey Ratrat

Thanks for this.

Great set lists - almost a Greatest Hits!

Mrs. JimDog and I are going to see GoGo Penguin on Weds night at the Albert Hall in Manchester.

These are actually tix we bought 2 years ago, and the gig was rolled over twice.

We saw them twice before that, and I had a chat with Chris after the Koyannisquatsi gig at the RNCM - probably the best concert I’ve ever seen.

(I think that record you bought might be some of that music?)

I’m amazed that the drummer split off as he was so good and the band got signed by Blue Note.

Really looking forward to seeing them again.

Cheers
Jim

1 Like

While last night showcased the power and energy of live performances, tonight with Ron Sexsmith solo showcased the intimacy and emotion of live performances.

This was really a superlative concert, Every song I knew sounded better and the lyrics clearer whilst every song new to me was like a new short story to ingest.

A great return to the fray.

He’s next touring the UK, London, Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham.

.sjb

2 Likes

Trains permitting we’re going to the London gig tomorrow, was it all solo Ron or with his band, looking forward to this?

Just Ron on guitar and piano.

.sjb

Heads up for jazz fans. Kamasi Washington and Ezra Collective headlining on Saturday August 13th at the South Facing festival at Crystal Palace Park

1 Like

Many thanks, haven’t seen him without a band or at least a percussionist since he opened for Elvis Costello at the Shepherds Bush Empire in the 90’s !

1 Like

We had an excellent show with Mike McGoldrick, John McCusker & John Doyle in St. James’ Church in Emsworth on 1 March. They are superb musicians and lovely people.