What concerts have you been to in 2019?

Dave Matthews Band , Waterfront Park Camden NJ

5 Likes

Gov’t Mule, Beacon Theater, NYC

![IMG_1991|666x500]

4 Likes

Part 2

1 Like

Durand Jones and The Indicators at the Concorde 2. Apart from the system which is a feature of the this venue the band themselves where incredible the best band I have seen
live in at least ten years. Both Durand and Arron who also plays drums vocals where brilliant as where the whole band.
Durand walked around the venue bore the gig and spoke to people before hand which was a very nice touch. All in all an excellent night of beautiful laid back soul music.

1 Like

Steve Wynn’s band “Dream Syndicate”. London Scala 21-10-2019

Terrific gig, 95 mins of guitar heaven, few can wind a guitar up as well as Jason Victor, I truly believe there is currently no finer live experience for fans of guitar rock. Drawing on a catalogue stretching back 30 plus years, the newer songs fitted perfectly

What was it that Lou Reed said, “two guitars bass and drums it’s all you need” well last night that was true for the greater part of the set with occasional keyboards and electronics from Chris Cacavas on the newer songs.

Gratifying that the Scala is almost full to capacity (800) a few years ago Steve Wynn in any form was struggling to fill The Borderline. If you like guitars do try to see this band, or at least seek out Steve and Dream Syndicate’s recordings.

Chris

1 Like

The Rails - Hebden Bridge Picture House - tonight
They’ve moved on from their early start as folkies, their latest album is rocky, and this was an all out rock gig. James Wallbourne (Pogues, Pretenders) is a seriously talented guitarist and he really poured everything into his solos. Kami Thompson sings superbly and plays fine rhythm guitar, their voices harmonise well and the band were tight. Possibly my gig of the year.

2 Likes

Songs of Gustav Mahler

Christian Gerhaher, baritone

Gerold Huber, piano

Program:
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen (Songs of a Wayfarer)
Lieder aus "Des Knaben Wunderhorn " (Songs from The Boy’s Miraculous Horn)
Kindertotenlieder ( Songs on the Death of Children )

Just came back from a lovely recital from a familiar Mandel Hall. Christian Gerhaher and Gerold Huber made a Chicago debut tonite with 3 Mahler songs.
A few years back Gerhaher was slated to debut at the Orchestra Hall with Winterreise but it was cancelled due to illness.

Impressive control and clear diction packaged in warm rich velvety tone. His voice reminded me of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. I’m sure Mandel Hall’s excellent acoustic helped here but from the lowest octave to the top the tone was liquid and just effortless. Full of suppressed emotions throughout Particularly kindertotenlider’s moving performance.

I hope they’ll come back to Chicago for Winterreise.

This is the first time I listen to these tunes with only a piano, but Huber’s sparse playing was effective actually more effective than a large orchestra.

3 Likes

OMD 40th Anniversary Tour, Dublin Olympia Theatre

2 Likes

Christian Tetzlaff & Lars Vogt

PROGRAM

Beethoven

Violin Sonata No. 6 in A Major, Op. 30, No. 1
Shostakovich Violin Sonata
Kurtág Tre Pezzi
Franck Violin Sonata

Attended a lovely recital this afternoon. The star of the program for me was their Franck’s rendition where romantic and atmospheric playing created a beguiling scene suited for the score. I also enjoyed unusual Kurtag’s Tre Pezzi. This is three short pieces almost like a study of note and the silence ( ‘ma’ in Japanese ). Violin creates various unusual textures in from whisper to high pitch register inter-twined with a sparce piano notes. Unfortunately, tho, the cold season started in Chicago area so there are many patrons coughing at the most delicate spots!

Shostakovich’s violin sonata is a tough one and I didn’t think they surpassed the reading by Richter and Kagan. I felt that the left hand of piano was too overpowering and the right hand lacked clarity. Violin also was too laid back. I expect to hear more up front hard violin lines out of Shosty’s pieces. Instead Tetzlaff’s playing, I felt, was too benign. Vogt’s playing is the same, too. I would have loved to hear a better note separation and clarity out of tremolo. Somehow a sharp and terse irony missing from the whole piece.

Beethoven Sonata also sounded * too nice * especially on piano. Would have to hear wider dynamic shading.

In spite, I always enjoy Tetzlaff/Vogt program. Today particularly for their fresh programming.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review Bob, the albums are great, lucky you to see them live

Very lucky it was the night before my 50th birthday too!

1 Like

Saw GoGo Penguin at RNCM last night.
It was the best gig I’ve ever seen (including many visits to Ronny Scott’s, the RAH, and hundreds of pubs and clubs in the old days).
They played for 90 mins non-stop - grand piano, drums and double bass/electric bass.
Projected on a screen above them was the film Koyaanisqatsi - see note below.
They were brilliantly in tune and in tone and in time with the moving images of the film, and with each other.

And their interpretation of the Philip Glass score (which I’m not keen on listened to on its own) transformed it into a very enjoyable and memorable night for me. :flushed:

They got a standing ovation at the end from a delighted crowd!

Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance, is a 1982 American experimental film directed by Godfrey Reggio with music composed by Philip Glass.

The film consists primarily of slow motion and time-lapse footage of cities and many natural landscapes across the United States. The visual tone poem contains neither dialogue nor a vocalized narration: its tone is set by the juxtaposition of images and music. In the Hopi language, the word Koyaanisqatsi means “unbalanced life”.

4 Likes

I was at the GoGo Penguin gig last night too and I agree wholeheartedly, loved it!!

3 Likes

Attended a performance with my wife last evening hosted by the Earshot Jazz Festival at the Seattle Art Museum last evening featuring the Avishai Cohen Quartet. The group included Avishai Cohen (trumpet), Fabian Almazan (piano), Barak Mori (bass), and Ziv Ravitz (drums). Music from the albums ‘Cross My Palm With Silver,’ ‘Into The Silence,’ and others were included in the performance. Avishai also put music to a Poem he recently translated from ancient Hebrew and recited the poem. This worked quite well and hope that he records it and releases it on a future album. The musicians supporting him on stage were fantastic, cohesive and flawless (at least to my naked eyes and ears) and the audience was responsive and appreciative throughout the show.

Highly recommended and will be on the lookout for him if he comes back to town in the future!

3 Likes

Molly Tuttle at Bush Hall west London last night. I am familiar with her new album and knew nothing much more than that. But a well attended gig for very good reason. What a performer. Crystal clear voice, fabulous guitar player too. Think along the lines of a cross between Alison Krauss and Kacey Musgraves. Beautifully backed by her band the evening was a real treat. Bush Hall also a fabulous venue. Catch her if you get the chance.

Tomorrow: Emily Barker & Marry Waterson, in Portsmouth

4 Likes

I’ve seen Ferocious Dog (Punk Folk) four times this year. Enjoyed every one of them.

1 Like

Three concerts in the last 6 days, all very good but quite different! Van Morrison Nottingham last Monday, Big Big Train in Birmingham Wednesday, and Ludovico Einaudi in Nottingham this evening. Loved them all. Next up Marillion with friends from the orchestra at Birmingham Symphony Hall next Wednesday which should be interesting.

2 Likes

A-ha at Leeds Arena last night. A nostalgic one for me. I saw them in Jan’87 at Birmingham NEC, where me and my mate were the only two lads on a 3hr coach trip there. We could have died haha.

1 Like

Looking very much forward to my Wednesday concert with Grigory Sokolov …

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Präludium (Fantasie) und Fuge C-Dur, KV 394 (383a)

Sonate Nr. 11 A-Dur, KV 331 (300i) op. 6 n. 2
Andante grazioso
Menuetto. Trio
Alla turca. Allegretto

Rondo a-Moll, KV 511

Pause

Johannes Brahms
Klavierstücke op. 118
Klavierstücke op. 119

Grigory Sokolov ist eine monolithische Größe im Musikbetrieb. Nach einer Solistenkarriere unter über 200 Dirigenten, mit den besten Orchestern und auf den bedeutendsten Konzertpodien der Erde, gelangte der Meisterpianist zu überlebensgroßem Ruhm durch Reduktion – durch die Konzentration auf die Intimität von Solo-Klavierabenden, zu denen sich jede noch so weite Pilgerreise lohnt. Denn auch wenn Sternstunden wie etwa das »Salzburg Recital« inzwischen bei Deutsche Grammophon dokumentiert sind, ersetzt nichts den lebendigen Zauber, die Sogkraft, mit der Sokolov die Konzertgäste in sein Universum zieht. Sobald der Ausnahmepianist die Tasten berührt, wird alles unwichtig – außer der Musik. Vernachlässigbar werden die Werke lediglich, wenn es um Werbunggeht: Oft gibt Grigory Sokolov seine konkreten Programme erst kurzfristig bekannt. Dies macht die Vorfreude auf seine ausgefeilte, klug gebauten Konzertsolitäre freilich nur noch größer.