What do you think? Speaker placement advice

I won’t get into the debate of whether it’s an acceptable solution or not, but there are educational mats you can put around the rug to “surprise” the dog into not going on the rug.

How much toe in do you have set @Bart ?
It looks minimal if any at all, just wondering (I have just a fraction of toe in with my PMC25.23’s, full toe was not enjoyable to my ears!).
I think I’m at something like 0.6:1 but my set up is in the lounge and there is a doorway which stops me from widening the space between the speakers.
I’ll have a proper measure and a play around with seating positions when I’m back at home, just out of curiosity.

Interesting topic for sure!

there are nice inexpensive ones at Ikea for instance. But don’t know if it will match your standards…

Then you can make it into a Rothko room :grimacing:

Hello,
Just a quick room correction comment here…Also have massive room mode issues with new rear-ported speakers in living room. I’m currently at maximum WAF distance from rear wall which appears to be the culprit. Have used REW and also have installed a MiniDSP with Dirac. After measurments, Dirac allows you to define and tweak a target spectrum curve relatively easily. This method does in fact work, but I have two gripes with it:

1. I’m philosophically against adding extra circuitry into the signal with all kinds of A/D conversion going on.
  2. The sonic result is quite variable according to the source. CD, FLAC streams and internet radio all have different levels of room response going through the DSP.
    I find myself sometimes forced into listening to music just because the signal is clean and not listening to preferred music because it’s unlistenable and creates massive frustration.
    By the way, the Cardas calculator calls for 1,95m from the rear wall. My max now is 37cm. I’m on a seemingly endless quest to remedy this situation…
    Brgds.

New speakers with a home dem sounds the best option to me if you can’t get a suitable position for your current speakers.

1 Like

Two problems with that: one is where to even start finding suitable alternative speakers - far from an easy job, and the other us that if the problem is mid)high frequency reflections muddying tge sound, no speaker will fix that, just as no DSP can.

Getting back to the speaker placement question, I think it might be worth trying with them further apart than your consultant has suggested. This can work well with Naim SL2s, for example, but I have no experience of Magicos. Also, as your room is “anomalous“ compared with all the little square boxes that are usually used to illustrate these rules, and asymmetrical to boot, I’d advise you to literally think outside the box and just experiment to get an idea of what actually works in practice.

1 Like

Regarding speaker placement Nordost has a Set-up guide that can be downloaded from their homepage that includes 4 different methods for setting up speakers. Could be good alternatives to the Cardas method.

One thing to remember is that the placement if your head can have as large an impact as the placement of the speakers. One trick based on this insight (often used to place subwoofers but applicable to speakers in general) is to place one, or both, speaker(s) in the preferred listening position, play som music, and move about approximately where you intend to place the speakers. The positions which sound best is a good starting point for speaker placement.

Best regards

Hans

1 Like

@anon64018693
It might be a good idea to post pics and tell us what speakers you have. Is it bass boom you are getting or some other issue?
What position do the speaker manufacturers say they should be placed in?

Had no intention to hijack the thread, just contributing my DSP experience because it was previously mentioned as a possible solution (REW, room placement calculations…).
Brgds.

Yes. Mine are 183,1 cm from the rear Wall, haha

I notice one thing that gets mixed up in talk of distance of speaker from rear wall: distance of front baffle, or of rear panel. Any technical talk of speaker distance is that of the front baffle, whereas people often cite the distance of the rear. Given that some speakers may be 50cm or more deep, that is quite a difference. Best, I think, to stick with convention and describe only the distance of front baffle from wall (other than when describing spakers thar are hard up against tge wall).

2 Likes

I’d suggest the generally accepted convention is measuring from the wall to the rear baffle. This measurement works with all speakers including boundary ones. Yes, technically you are right though.

Just like nobody has replacement brake dics fitted to their car. Technically they are rotors but few people use that terminology.

Hello Innocent,
The issue there is that for rear-ported speakers the non-desireable phenomenon of exciting room modes on low frequencies is impacted by the distance between the rear port (or rear baffle) and the wall and not the front plane of the speakers. In the case of deep speakers, for example, the primary measure for this must be rear-port to wall. Anyway, that’s my take and that’s how I describe my measly 37cm from the rear wall…as measured from the wall to the rear port. Only cost me two cents to write this!

:small_blue_diamond:I find it very strange,.that not Naim has instructions how to install speakers.

It must of course be in the interests of a manufacturer…To ensure that the music system plays as well as possible. Regardless of what you have chosen for speakers.

The Distributor for Naim and Linn in the 80-century in Sweden,.until 1994,placed great demands on its dealers.
In that they would use a method that Linn and Naim developed together for speaker placement.
This was before 1985,.when the collaboration between Naim and Linn ceased.

If they did not do that,.so they got to end up as dealers.
Demands were also made,that they would teach this method to their customers.

This meant,.that we in Sweden during this time,became very good at the installation of music-systems and speakers.
Ivor Tiefenbrun (Linn),.drew attention to this at one of his visits to Sweden.
He said he thought that Swedish traders were significantly better at this,than traders from the UK.

Today,.most of Linn and Naim’s customers in Sweden use this method. Albeit Linn,.with their Space Optimization has “forced” traders to simplify speaker installation,. and “that’s not good all the times”.
More on that later.

But Naim should go out officially with instructions on how to install speakers. This considering,how often this topic pops up in different threads on this forum.

/Peder🙂

Peder, what do you think of the space optimization by linn dsm and kdsm streamers?

Rothko is cool! The shop we get that nice mid-century furniture from has a Jean Arp lithograph that I think we’re going to get. (My wife has a ph.d. in the sciences but took a lot of art history in college and has “good” taste.)

Rothko actually would be pretty easy to reproduce on sound panels :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s pretty minimal. Not none, but minimal. It’s something to play with - to see how it effects sound stage. Right now the speakers are probably 80% of the way there towards disappearing entirely. When I have time to sit and do it, I’m sure I can improve that.

1 Like

Probably because they don’t make any. :wink:

1 Like