What do you think? Speaker placement advice

:small_blue_diamond:@Guinnless,ā€¦:grin::joy:,.That is the obvious simple answer.

But Naim has been producing speakers for decades.
And the method that Naim and Linn worked out,.works on all types of loudspeakers.

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,ā€¦Is a little busy now.

Will try to find some pictures,.that describe the weakness with Space Optimization like me,we see it.
I will return later.

/PederšŸ™‚

1 Like

Spendor arranged my speaker installation in UK - they were very good.

There are some superb dealers in UK. Glad to hear Sweden has caught up as when I lived there I couldnā€™t find a decent dealer, but that was in ā€˜80s. Linn were very helpful. It was a good time, but lack of cricket made me home sick in the end. No Space Optimisation (SO) in those days.

The ideal position for my Spendors though was not ideal aesthetically, but when we applied SO V2 I found the sound quality and aesthetics perfect. SO V2 seems much better than V1 and V1 was pretty good. Now with Urika II vinyl records have never sounded better in my cottage.

I have used a dummy SO configuration to calibrate J River MC for my Chord system and that works a treat. Of course, it doesnā€™t work if playing a CD, but it gives a welcome boost to streaming.

I suspect you can achieve something similar with Roon for a Naim system. You could definitely emulate SO V1 with J River DSP studio for a Naim streaming system.

I do wonder why Naim has not addressed Room Correction yet, but perhaps it will in next tranche of products.

Itā€™s surely down to the manufacturer to specify how best they are placed and even that is just a starting point. Royd Edenā€™s would need different positioning to my Spendor A7s.

Spendor A7 = wonderful speakers

2 Likes

Speakers placement need several hours to be done well. 2/3 mn angle position make differences in sound.
I doubt a lot of dealers will take 2 or 3 hours time to tune well the speakers placement. Or perhaps with more than 50k speakersā€¦

My setup is almost similar to yours. My speakers are approximately 1.9m apart centre to centre of tweeter and I sit about 4.5m away from the speakers. I could sit closer say 4.0m or 3.5m but I donā€™t like the presentation if I sit too close to the speakers.

I would think that there are no hard rules when it comes to speaker placement in the room. There may be good guidelines on speaker placement to follow but in the end your ears and preference are the judge.

normally itā€™s an equilateral triangle, so you should not have a double distance between sitting and middle of the speakers and the distance between your speakers. Normallyā€¦

i feel IB is going to write a very precise mathematical placementā€¦i see him responding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:small_blue_diamond:@Guinnless,ā€¦Of course,.but whatever the starting point.

So with the right method,you will find the right placement of your speaker. Whichever speaker you have,ā€¦but it takes time,itā€™s nothing you do in a week.

It is this,.as I wrote earlier,.that Naim should inform about.
Especially,.because the issue is coming back so often.

But this I have written about earlier.

/PederšŸ™‚

That is common, but the other is used as well - and varios published guidance (e.g. Cardas mentioned in this thread) universally relate to the front of the speaker, at least in all I have seen).

However:

This is true for low bass, because the where the port is is effectively another front baffle, even if at the rear. (But which is more significant, front or back, will depend on which has the greater output at the problem frequencies), Iā€™ve never liked the idea of rear ported speakers, if only because they create more placement problem than others.

1 Like

Mine spent about 5 hours with a break for lunch and allowed me to keep the speakers on trial for a week. They also matched the cabinet finish to my furniture. We are very lucky to get good customer service in UK.

It does surprise me that this not more common outside UK. DIY is not for me. I would not want to pay good money for a product and then be left to set it up by myself and if the Lord had meant us to assemble flat packed furniture, he would not have given us Ercol.

Linn at a recent demo emphasised that a customer is not expected to configure Space Optimisation, it is something a dealer will do for them. My dealer spent most of the day configuring and testing my setup and making sure I was happy. He also did a follow up.

My Naim Fraim was also installed carefully by my dealer.

I got the impression your dealer would provide similar service in France. Is this not the case?

1 Like

my dealer is helpful but i doubt he would spend 5 hours to tue in the speakers placement. 2 hours more probably.
However i prefer to do the last details myself. It requires calm and concentration, and my ears are different from my dealer also.
As for space optimization, i will do it myself, if i buy a kdsm, because it would be second hand.

1 Like

For detailed mathematical explanation look elsewhere! Mathmatics can only seek to minimise adverse effects - and canā€™t stop them, Cardas guidance is one approach based on the maths. The 38% of optimum listening distance from front to rear wall is another - and different from Cardas. Which works best depends on the room, and, though to a lesser extent, the speaker characteristics.

But unless you have a plain room, with no windows, doors or furniture, the real-room acoustics then modify what happens, and the theoretical calculations donā€™t necessarily give the optimum response. The various mathematical approaches can be useful as the starting point, and if one approach doesnā€™t seem to work, try another. Then the rest needs to be done by trial and error, assessing by ear or measurement (measurement such as with REW being much quicker than by listening).

If thats a big Glass Coffee table in front of you try putting a cloth or something over it when you listen. Iā€™d also try some toe in see what happens. I like painters tape on the floor to mark where I was so I donā€™t get lost. How far apart are the speakers? Are you 20" from the back of the speaker to the wall? And most importantly how does it sound?

Yes if it is not bought through a dealer thatā€™s different. My dealer would install second hand kit he sells. I configured SO2 for a friend as she had bought MDSM privately and it is quite easy - superb product, well thought out by Linn. Though there are some peculiarities in the user interface. Easier than configuring J River DSP studio.

No way could I move my Spendors around on my own as Iā€™m no HafĆ¾Ć³r JĆŗlĆ­us Bjƶrnsson.

Still I hope you are successful in getting everything working well and you can sit back and listen to FranƧoise Hardyā€™s ā€œLa Questionā€ or Serge Gainsbourgā€˜s ā€œHistoire de Melody Nelsonā€ (two of my favourite albums).

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was thinking, as itā€™s pretty two dimensional stuff. I quite like some of them, in an odd sort of way. Seeing the complete Seagram murals in their room in the Tate in London is interesting, but not sure I could live with them!

melody nelson absolutely! my favorite Gainsbourg.

1 Like

some nice art acoustic panels ( absorbing)

i like specially the bitches brew one( miles davis)

I re-read the Magico guidance document, and they recommend starting 20 inches from the rear wall, measured from the rear of the speaker.

I agree. I was tweaking things for months :grinning:

1 Like