What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Hi @AndyP
Just for a bit of fun thought I’d wait a couple of days see if anyone gets it.
The connection is that the set that was built for Playtime was named Tativille. In a homage the crew of Blade Runner nicknamed their set Ridleyville.

1 Like

I’ve just finished watching The Godfather part 1 with kid #1. It’s an exceptional movie and a joy to watch every time.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Found on YouTube. Reasonably good print. Few quick adverts you can click off.

Robert DeNiro and the great Edward Norton are two thieves after a treasure locked in the Montreal Customs House. Marlon Brando is the man mountain that sets up the whole operation.
Usually you might say… not again …but it is quite an entertaining and suspenseful watch.

1 Like

The Boulting Brothers’ 1959 comedy classic has everyone in it – Margaret Rutherford, Peter Sellers, Richard Attenborough, Max Greene, Frank Harvey, Miles Malleson, Ian Carmichael, Irene Handl, Liz Fraser, Roy Boulting, Dennis Price, Michael Bates, Kenneth Griffifth, John Le Mesurier, Alan Hackney, John Boulting, Anthony Harvey, Sam Kelly, even Malcolm Muggeridge and Muriel Young – but inevitably Terry-Thomas steals the show with his gap-toothed caddishness and utterances of "stinker’, “rotter” and “absolute shower”.

8 Likes

Wonderful stuff it’s like a time capsule.

1 Like

Wonderful film and Peter Sellers was 5 years younger than Ian Carmichael.

1 Like

I Am Woman

The story of Helen Reddy who despite her apparent fame, success and important figure in the equal rights movement I knew little of, other than vaguely recalling the name.

So with my lack of knowledge cant really say if its a good film but it was an enjoyable watch.

2 Likes

Half Pants Full Pants

This is a gem of a series, we enjoyed it enough to binge watch all 9 episodes today (only about 25 mins each).
Indian language comic drama about the well intentioned mischievous escapades of a young boy persuing dreams in a bygone era set in a rural Indian Railway village.
Just charming and at times very funny.

Nice UHD picture with some lovely scenic shots of the train and location.

1 Like

Didn’t her husband manage Iggy and the Stooges - that must have been a job.

1 Like

Her Husband/Manager Jeff Wald is shown in the film managing Sylvester Stallone, Deep Purple and Tiny Tim (?). No mention of Iggy.
The film depicts him as someone who used Helen Reddy for his own furtherance and descended into drugs and blew all their money and home.
The film also depicts “legendary rock journalist Lillian Roxon” another name I hadnt heard of before this film.

1 Like

Roxon, an Aussie, was a hugely important woman journalist (and feminist) who began her career in the early '50s. Not only was she a fantastic writer on a wide range of subjects, she was a trailblazer for both women working in the media, and for Australians working in America. She also wrote the first “rock encyclopaedia” in 1969 and has a good claim to be the first woman to write seriously about pop music.

3 Likes

Yes, the film does show Lillian writing and completing the encyclopedia and her close relationship with Helen Reddy, as a friend, journalist (writing the notes for her first album) and fellow activist.
Cheers

1 Like

Binge watched it over Christmas , so good.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention I gave this another watch on BluRay at the weekend…

Sex And Drugs And Rock n Roll

Biopic (sort of) of the great Ian Dury. Andy Serkis does a good job of playing Ian but the film tries to be a bit too clever with the arty and semi surreal presentation instead of getting on with the job. Overall though good fun and celebration of the music up until Spasticus Autusticus where the story peters out.
This can be compensated for by reading Will Birch’s excellent Ian Dury The Definitive Biography.

:heart:

1 Like

There ain’t half been some clever bastards…

I started with Kilburn and the High Roads and the saw him several more times at the start of Blockheads when he appeared locally at Ipswich etc.
Good,loud,fun nights.

I was speaking to Gilad Atzmon a couple of years ago at the local arts festival as he was wearing a Blockheads t shirt. They were still performing as a sorta tribute band.

1 Like

Ah yes, I forgot Gilad Altzman joined the band, a great Jazz player with brilliant sense of humour and activist/writer on the controversial Israel/Palestine question. Coincidentally I met him after a gig once and chatted about that, he gave me one of his books.
The last time I saw Gilad play at my local arts centre (Orient Ensemble) and he was wearing a Blockheads shirt iirc, there was an interval, he came back out and expressed surprise to be asked to play the second half as the audience had usually gone home by then! :joy:

But I digress…

Yes, The Blockheads band do still play gigs, they were supposed to play my local centre recently with “special guest singer” but it didnt happen

:heart:

5 Likes

Not one for nostalgia I prefer Ian as the foul mouthed saloon owner in Deadwood

Or the more recent and even more foul mouthed sheriff in
The Hollow Point

Seems a comfy,well paid character he has found for himself.

Both will be streamed with a search.
Go on drag your self away from my home patch in the posh Essex countryside.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen this film, so was interested to see why it’s known as one of the classics.

The picture quality on 4K blu ray is absolutely stunning. The set build, lighting and film work shine through. They did things really differently in those days and put far more effort than modern counterparts. I think it stems from the early days of b£w when they only had different shades to work with.

Rex Harrison was brilliant and the only one to sing rather than mime. Probably his demands knowing him. Audrey Hepburn started off pretty poor, but got better during the movie. No idea of the history of the movie, but that’s my impression.

5 Likes