What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

The Tempest. 1979.

Unfortunately this update does little for the screen quality.
Derek’s obscure surreal take on an already obscure and surreal Shakespeare classic.
Toyah looking very nubile.

“What a thrice-double ass Was I, to take this drunkard for a god . And worship this dull fool!”

1 Like

Another Brit comedy classic, this one directed by Robert Kind Hearts And Coronets Hamer. Terry-Thomas is absolutely outstanding as the oily cad undone by Ian Carmichael’s hapless upper-class twit. There’s also the magnificent Alistair Sim, the gorgeous Janette “daughter of Thora Hird” Scott, Dennis Price and Peter Jones superb as a pair of dodgy car salesmen, plus great support from John Le Mes, Edward Chapman, Irene Handl, Hattie Jacques and Jeremy Lloyd.

8 Likes

Just watched the documentary again. Recommended, if only for her astonishing live performance of Last Chance Texaco at the end.

(The album is very strong. A great return to form.)

2 Likes

Brilliant music. Hepburn was replaced for the songs, I thought everyone else sung their own songs …obviously NOT live on set. Certainly Stanley Holloway sung his songs, FAR too distinctive a voice to replace.

An annual revisit for me, and I listen to the soundtrack with the original theater cast, that is Julie Andrews. She was turned down for the role in the film and so was cast for Mary Poppins, and received the Oscar that year.

2 Likes

One of Mr’s Dreads favourites, she has played Eliza Doolittle in an amatuer drama performance.
Based as I’m sure your aware on George Bernard Shaws Pygmalion.
Theres also a musical version with Julie Andrews as a stage production and a film.

I prefer the 1938 film Pygmalion

Pygmalion_(1938)_poster

1 Like

Great film, The Ladykillers, Passport To Pimlico…

1 Like

Pinched from Wiki

Hepburn’s singing was judged inadequate, and she was dubbed by Marni Nixon,[11] who sang all songs except “Just You Wait”, in which Hepburn’s voice was preserved during the harsh-toned chorus, with Nixon on the melodic bridge section

2 Likes

Yes, Nixon did a range of ‘replacements’ for well known actresses.

I heard the other day that in the final scene of ‘Singing in the Rain’ that when Debbie Reynolds was supposedly singing behind the curtain she was herself overdubbed; fact stranger than fiction!

1 Like

Yes the music was great. Not sure my point came across right. I meant Rex was the only one to sing live on the set and every other song was mimed to. Just my basic observations, as I know nothing about this film. I just found it distracting when someone starts singing and it’s obviously mimed to. Rex and Stanley were mesmerising.

No I painfully know nothing about this movie. I’ve never watched Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, Grease and several other classics. I suppose they were just never my first choice or taste.

1 Like

Try the 1938 Pygmalion its not a musical but a fine film imo and George Bernard Shaw himself contributed to the screenplay

3 Likes

YES!

On YT.

1 Like

She did Natalie Wood’s singing voice in West Side Story

2 Likes

The film caused quite a stir back in 1938 because Wendy Hiller uttered the line “not bloody likely” - quite racy for the time.

1 Like

Thats right :+1:

Do all Aussies get a “fair go”?

Whatdya reckon @Pete_the_painter

1 Like

Ken Burns brave, eye opening, powerful, thought provoking, sickening and harrowing account of a shameful episide in America’s (and other nations including ours) history.

This should be compulsory viewing imo

Also makes you realise with recent and current events how close we are and If not careful could allow history to repeat itself

3 Likes

Good question - yes and no.

The yes, workers are protected by laws that include a minimum wage 4 weeks holidays sick leave above average public holidays etc. It’s not France but it’s certainly better than most countries. Mind you it hasn’t stopped some who’ll try an exploit others (Google 7/11 migrant student workers Aus).

We have a decent free education and healthcare system that despite what some people think is better than most. We have a stable political system and free legal for the poor.

So yes, if you get off your ass and “have a go” you can achieve anything but I guess that’s the same as most free societies.

All of the above make me proud to be an Aussie.

The no, white folk have mistreated our First Nations people since the day Cook landed. They’ve been murdered exploited had their culture and kids taken away from them and imo still don’t get a fair go.

These things make me ashamed of being an Aussie.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you said that :+1:

Miriam does meet some First Nation peoples and discusses that. Not heard the indigenous Aboriginals referred to as First Nation before thats interesting, saw your post on the protest thread too

1 Like

Btw @Pete_the_painter
There is a very good film detailing the terrible policy of kidnapping First Nation children and re homing them with White families, some whom were shipped to families here in the UK, with the intent of breeding out the Aboriginal race.

When I can remember it I will post it here, do you know the film I’m thinking of?

Rabbit Proof Fence is another good film and book too

4 Likes