What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

:heart:

I am sure you know and think well of this pair but others might not know them.

From Robin Williams helper to Clint Eastwood star.
Great actor.

3 Likes

First Men In The Moon
1964 film adaptation of the HG wells novel.
Stop motion special effects from Ray Harryhausen, remember the brilliant Skeleton battle from Jason And The Argonauts

MV5BOTc1MjcyNzE0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjk1ODYzNTE@.V1

5 Likes
2 Likes

First Men In The Moon is fabulous!

1 Like

I usually think Steve Coogan and his alter ego Alan Partridge are brilliant.
I streamed this, glad it was free as some of it was ok but a lot of it just went over my head and more so as it went on with the song and dance routines and I fell asleep.

Re-watched Jason & the Argonauts last Friday. A friend came round for a film night and this was her choice, she hadn’t seen it for a few decades. Great fun.

4 Likes

Harryhausen was so ahead of his time dont you think? Better than a lot of modern hi tech but soulless CGI etc methinks

1 Like

I was impressed by the script. The special effects are not up to modern standards but somehow that doesn’t impact how I view the film. In part I think that you are right, that RH was able to evoke an emotional response that modern effects frequently miss.

RH was a true trailblazer.

Loved seeing Patrick Troughton. On our honeymoon we visited Paestum, without realising until we got there, that this was used as the setting for the Harpies sequence. Amazing place.

1 Like

Ah, one of the best Doctors, with the funny haircut and whistle :+1:

1 Like

3 Likes

Mention it on the TV thread watch Everything Everywhere at Once last night. Totally enjoyed it although I haven’t a clue what it was about.

I haven’t a clue what your talking about :joy:
But I’ll ask Mr Google :+1:

A very silly and bombastic actioner in which Gerard Butler saves the world. Or something. Lots of explosions, people shooting at rach other in the dark, that sort of thing. It all feels a bit oversold, and I can’t decide if Butler is even more camp than Vin Diesel. A reasonable way to pass a couple of hours when you’re laid up.

4 Likes

2 Likes

From 1975, a pretty abysmal Norman Cohen sex farce, the kind of low-budget picture that was hugely popular at the UK box office once the Carry Ons started to fade. Poor old Robin Askwith, a Jagger manqué, just can’t help being jumped on by lust-crazed women of all ages.

Best thing about this movie is Kipper, an awful pop group that Timmy Lea (Askwith) and his brother-in-law Sid Nogget (Tony Booth) manage. They’re led by Please Sir! alumnus Peter Cleall and a bassist who’s the spit of Liam Gallagher, 20 years before Oasis. They have one really good song, a raucous stomper entitled “The Clapham”…

1 Like

Great cast.

1 Like

Look at that cast list! This sumptuous 1974 Sidnet Lumet-directed epic (made when AC was still alive), with Albert Finney as an eccentric and slightly brittle Poirot is stuffed full o’ A-listers, from Bergman and Bacall through to Widmark and York, all of them playing people of varying degrees of suspiciousness, all of them with a motive for murder, and the means to do so. So who dunnit?.

Christie liked it, so did the 1970s public and so do I.

6 Likes

I prefer this version

3 Likes

1 Like