What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

This is very good.

1 Like

John Wick: Chapter 4

1 Like

Superb Dutch film leading up to the Battle of Walcheren in August 1944. Well worth 2 hours of your time.

1 Like

Anyone who’s ever waited in for an important package might identify with this…
Based on the bizarre “true” story of Phillip Tress, the real life story which I think led to the term going postal.

1 Like

The Full Monty - TV Mini Series (2023)

The original band of brothers as they navigate Sheffield and its crumbling healthcare, education and employment sectors, exploring the brighter, sillier and more humane way forward where communal effort can still triumph over adversity.

IMG_1855

The mark and two contract killers end up in an isolated police station.
A fine performance from Alexis Louder as the officer trying to sort through the mess of lies. Toby Huss as the psychopath brought a smile to my face.
Butler is Butler.
No social messages just mayhem and lots’a dead ‘uns.
Surprisingly entertaining along Tarantino lines. Even more surprising that many critics ( yes the Guardian)enjoyed it.
Amazon Prime.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 09.45.07

The Two Towers -extended edition Blu-Ray .

Also Fellowship Of The Ring - again extended Blu Ray

Both come in two discs , and I watched each disc as a stand alone ,so it amounted to four films . The overall feel was much closer to the books , Fangorn Forest does indeed come to Helm’s Deep .

The main thing missing is Tom Bombadil and according to what I read that was indeed filmed , with er Brian Blessed as Tom Bombadil .

I’m lucky in that I was able to buy a reasonably good Pioneer Blu Ray and the sound of both films was superb, even my Harbeth P3ESR went deep

2 Likes

This does have many good moments, but I could do without:

• Aragorn being dragged into a ravine;
  • Aragorn being randomly found by a horse, who still has reins thereon;
  • Hobbits having to tell the Ents what is happening in their own forest;
  • Hobbits tricking the Ents to go to war, rather than their gallant self sacrifice following the Entmoot.

Sigh.

M

1 Like

I do know what you mean , the longer version is more coherent .

The sound on Blu Ray is good, just watching a chunk of return of the King , oh dear .

The Man from Laramie

A film I had seen MANY moons ago. But parts of it had stuck in my memory, such as: The shooting of the mules and the wagon of Winchester rifles.

Just so refreshing to see a hero acting as a hero!

M

Bend of the River

I am on a Jimmy Stewart kick. Again directed by Anthony Mann and also starring Arthur Kennedy, with a young Rock Hudson, who was so tragically taken away by Aids.

Thoroughly comfortable viewing!

I was watching an ex-TV executive opining that when genre films decide to get realistic it is a death knell. He mentioned Westerns as an example whilst discussing the current state of super hero movies.

Little in the way of realism here, but still enjoyable stuff. The good end happily whilst the baddies get theirs, that’s what fiction means :wink:

M

2 Likes

Just when you think you have really had it with yet another Zombie movie.
A class addition from 2012.

The Covenant

Watched with my wife this evening and we both enjoyed the film. I believe she did get a better appreciation for how the US left many of the Afghanistan civilians that worked with the armed forces out to dry when they withdrew.

6 Likes

News of the World.

We all really enjoyed this. Tom Hanks is superb in the lead role and it’s a great and thought provoking story set in the Deep South of the US towards the end of the civil war.

2 Likes

Well there’s 3 hours I’ll never get back, just finished watching Avatar The Way of Water with granddaughter 5.

3 Likes

You’ve no-one to blame but yourself.

And an 8 year old granddaughter who insisted I sit through it.

1 Like

Where are you now @Pete_the_painter ?

In Abu Dhabi, just got here after a painstakingly long 14 hours in economy, I’d forgotten just how bad it is. Next legs only 5 hours and I should be in London by 2pm.

1 Like

Watched first two episodes of this “ferociously gritty” Irvin Welsh crime drama.
Its ok so far if you can forgive the cliched plot and dialogue. Alcoholic cop with issues and haunted by a previous case etc, and Ken Stott looking riduculous and his character laughably more so in his ineptitude.
Sticking with it though, hopefully it might improve…