What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Maniac 2012.

A remake of an obscure 1980s video nasty. It follows within a close first person view of Frodo after the badness of the ring affected him.
Not bad for a Grindhouse frottage.

Right now…:innocent: (Lost In Translation)

6 Likes

Produced by Milton Subotsky

I used to work with his son. We had some great discussions about Hammer Horror / Amicus Productions and another of his passions Calypso music.

1 Like

Its good, but try the original Swedish version A Man Called Ove, its much better imo. I posted it here a while back

1 Like

2 Likes

A really lovely, simple, joyful film which prompts me to watch it again - thanks for posting.

1 Like

Terrific movie. And soundtrack :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A recently released documentary about a free diver and her trainer… not a happy ending but both have interesting stories regarding motivations and their efforts in the sport.

1 Like

Started watching the first episode then perversely gripped was compelled to binge all four episides.
Awful, nasty, shocking, unbelievable…

5 Likes

Also enjoyed this over the weekend but was left frustrated with the end of the final episode, series two maybe?

There is the Channel 4 documentary (on the Ch 4 “iplayer”). Called ‘Catching a Killer’. Amazing how much police footage is available in the documentary. Follows the real life police team who worked on the case.

1 Like

Must check that out, I do follow that series but must have missed that episode, thanks

I have a great love for film noir and so called hard boiled American pulp fiction. Chandler in particular.
I handed Amazon £3.49 last night and watched the latest manifestation.

Falls far short of Bogart,Mitcham and Gould. Neeson is not world weary but just tired. There are very few ‘fast,one liners’ and the plot hardly convoluted.
Still it looked a wonderful recreation of LA 1939 but those Venetian blind shadows on a face are just not the same in coloured photography.

2 Likes

I’m a big Marlowe fan there is James Garner as Marlowe and also James Caan in Poodle Springs.

1 Like

Hi Andy, checked the CH4 doc last night, cant say I enjoyed it that would be wrong.
Thanks

A tale of fraud and thieving around the UNs Iraqi Food for Oil program.
A straight forward account but with a wonderfully duplicitous performance by Ben Kingsley.
I am sure the core story is far from unique.

On Freevee/prime

I thought I had rented the 2022 film Babylon, set in '20s Hollywood, so I was pleasantly surprised when this gem turned up instead;

Set not in Hollywood, but in Streatham, with a great soundtrack and even an odd little cameo from none other than Mel Smith!

8 Likes

Nice one! Classic UK Reggae film Richard, features Aswad’s Brinsley Forde and the truly legendary Sound System operator Jah Shaka who passed away very recently.

Partly based on fact, Dennis Bovell was unjustly imprisoned following a police raid on a dance where he was operating his Sufferers HiFi Sound, as the police (Babylon) steamed in Junior Byles Beat Down Babylon was playing, producer of the tune Lee Scratch Perry was present and duly legged it :smile:

Lion!
:heart:

3 Likes

St Reatham is much more interesting than Hollywood!

Great movie, and a lovely time capsule.

1 Like