What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

John Wick 4
A great end to a decent franchise

1 Like

We go to the cinema to be entertained, the film about the injury to Daniel Radcliffe’s stand in , does justify CGI in many ways

Hadnt seen this since its original release, still looks great and a great film and cast…

1 Like

…I wish I could say the same about Full Metal Jacket. I remember really enjoying this back in the day especially the first half in boot camp with Ronald Ermy as hilarious drill instructor Sgt Hartman. However, watching it now I cringed at the homophobia, racism and bullying.

The Vietnam battle scenes which if I remember correctly were filmed around a derilict gas works in the old London Docklands is so obviously not Vietnam (in one scene there are electricity pylons in the background which look out of place), its also quite boring and anti climactic.

How this got such critical acclaim back in the day is beyond me.

Quirky observational surrealism. 1995.

But was Sgt Hartman meant to be viewed in a hilarious light, or was it Kubrick’s way of highlighting the way the recruits were de-humanised by bullies like Hartman, partly so they could be psychologically programmed to be unyielding soldiers? – I would use the word bigot here about Hartman too, but his views speak for themselves.

1 Like

My comment wasnt meant to mean hilarious in the funny haha sense.
Someone objected to the full content of my post and its been edited by the moderator.

Wasn’t me guv, honest. I got your meaning, but the truth of the matter is, this is one area where, on screen, Hollywood didn’t need to overly enhance the lived experiences of so many of the recruits.

1 Like

I would be very suprised if such behaviour is accepted in the military in this day and age, but I have to remind myself that the film is depicting a different time, still doesn’t mitigate my discomfort watching it again and my view that ultimately its just plain nasty.

Norman Jewisons superb film with Denzil Washington as Rubin Carter aka The Hurricane, boxer framed for murder by corrupt racist cops and the system that supports them.

First saw this way back when in a basic open air cinema in stifling heat on the Greek island of Lesvos, but good to watch again in better quality.

1 Like

The whole premise is dumb. I mean really, really 100% frustratingly full on stupid dumb. But hey, it’s non CGI, old fashioned action all the way entertainment with a reasonable amount of suspense. But dumb :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
7 Likes

I agree, dumb and implausible

2 Likes

Can’t let bonfire night pass without watching this classic.

5 Likes

A great Aussie flick that should done better. Great cast (a few poms) and a really funny gangster type story.

Worth tracking down.

1 Like

As is war.

Does that mean we can turn our back?

:rofl: :rofl:

You haven’t done anything to change my mind about watching it! But, loved the review.

I dont know what your talking about

Operation Fortune - Streamed on Amazon

Another Guy Ritchie production with his mates Jason Statham, Hugh Grant et al. Wasn’t expecting much, so not disappointed, as it’s the usual action caper contrived stuff, with a nonsensical plot, founded on plentiful action (them baddies, they simply cannot shoot straight!). Firmly in the B-movie category. I’m not sure what accent Hugh Grant was attempting throughout this film – some of it sounds dubbed on, it’s that strange at times?