What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

I read that the BBFC has been ordered to roll back the clock on ratings standards to the 80s.

Yep, Road House is absolute rubbish, but of course it’s required viewing because despite being '80s brainrot, it’s quality '80s brainrot and hugely entertaining, with the one of the greatest collections of mullets ever to be assembled for the silver screen. And The Swayze is awesome in it.

I’ve heard that the 2024 remake is an abomination and just watching 30 seconds of the trailer convinces me that it’s one to avoid.

4 Likes

Is there any 80s brainrot worse than contemporary YA trash on Netflix?

It is what it is, but somehow gladdens the heart on a grey Good Friday morning :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

‘Fury’ with Brad Pitt. Very good WW2 film about the allies incursion into Germany when the third reich was collapsing in on itself. A brilliant restored Sherman tank ‘Fury’ is the tank crews home and is the real star of the movie and is one I have a actually seen and touched and seen in action at the Tank museum show in June last year!

2 Likes

Del Toro and I have been on some strange journeys together. Always different stories that are well nailed together,featuring fine acting,set design and photography.

Based on a novel and earlier Tyrone Power noir which I will have to pursue.

A complicated arc about the life of a huckster trying to rise in the world financially but destroying everything and everybody around him.
Most reviews whilst singing the films praises offer a more comprehensive précis of the storyline.

It is perhaps half an hour too long but just revel in the design and music.
One for lovers of cinema and all its glories.

I prefer Blu-Rays but noticed it was on streaming channels.

1 Like

IMG_3349

John Philip law was Sinbad and Pygar none the less but is awesome as Diabolik.
Also featuring Marisa Mell. You won’t be able to take your eyes off her.

Watched this yesterday on iPlayer. Quite moving in places and really enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Three stories lines nicely linked. 8/10

1 Like

Still working through the Oscar films…

Not what I expected…perils of a total patriarchy or matriarchy in a paper thin plot. Think i chose the better film to see in the cinema.

Enjoyed this one but if an accurate depiction of french court proceedings then there appears to be alot of supposition rather than laying out of facts and evidence.

1 Like

Insomnia Directed by Christopher Nolan after Memento.

Tired,broken and under investigation Pacino is sent to Alaska to help the locals solve the vicious murder of a young woman.
This turns into a psychological battle between him and the murderer (no spoiler) Robin Williams.
Nolan’s early ability shows through,although the plot does need a little help to keep it moving. Well acted and enjoyable. Critically praised.

Amazon Freevee. Decent print and a couple of quick adverts.

1 Like

Great movie with the unexpected bonus of a Nick Cave soundtrack. 9/10

4 Likes

Follow up from Deeg’s recommendation.

Cannes Palme d’Or winner and my best film of the year so far.

The husband of an unhappy pairing is found dead in the snow. Was he pushed? Did he fall?

The wife is put on trail and we watch as family life is ripped to pieces for over two hours.

JustineTriet directs and Sandra Huller is quite remarkable in the starring roll.

The dog was so good he earnt a special Pets Palme
On Prime.

3 Likes

Great film Nick. I loved the courtroom scenes - not sure how realistic they were - it seemed like anyone could just chip in “Yeah but she’s a slag” and the like.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this one too. An unexpected delight.

A gem :ok_hand:

I will admit my knowledge of the workings of French courtrooms would be limited to watching all the series of Spirals.

Probably the unacceptable aspect of the court was for theatrical purposes. It did seem to be slanted against the accused.

Cinema is no stranger to altered perspectives. If it stuck to reality James Bond would not have gotten beyond the first outing.

1 Like

I always enjoy films set in that arty/academic world. I think I would have enjoyed life there.
IMG_2252

Very similar Woody Allen territory and newly on Prime.
Julia Louis Dreyfus (Sinefeld’s muse and Veep) leads the very fine cast in
A journey through a clever and wordy comedy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Nick, added to my queue.

Haven’t watched it for years. Really enjoying it again. Great set of characters. Piers and Jimmy really make you cringe, offset by Stephen and the Douglas and Franklin families.

3 Likes