What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

@Count.d damn I watched this last year and thought it was a load of old tosh only made it as far as the meeting with Michael Caine but that was enough and I’m a huge Matthew McConaughey fan. Had a different cover in those days. Just looked at a few reviews on Amazon and with your post I may need to give this another viewing.

Just leave it in IMAX 1.78:1 :grinning: The IMAX parts was apparently filmed with the 70mm film and the difference in picture quality is huge. It’s really stunning.

2 Likes

Andy, the first time I watched it 5 years ago, I got it and made me think about it days after. This time, it was like watching it fresh and I didn’t quite follow it as well. Suppose it depends what mood, how tired one is. Either that or I’m getting thicker.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Interstellar. Wouldn’t mind seeing it in 4K but still slumming it on my old 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma at the mo. Can’t justify getting rid of it as still has a great full HD image.,

1 Like

4K picture transfer is fantastic. Never seen so much detail in this film before and the 35mm film grain is crisp. Yet again, another great sound from 4K. The resonating deep humming that occurs when the UFO is on screen makes the whole room shake. Great fun. This just doesn’t happen on the dvd. I don’t have the old blu ray, so can’t comment on that.

It has the theatrical, special and directors cut. The differences are subtle, but why & when his wife leaves him, does change the perspective on the ending.

Might be Rambo tonight. Not sure yet though.

4 Likes

From 1974, a curious – and in its day, rather controversial – documentary that makes use of home movies from both ordinary people and the Nazi elite. Because so much of the footage is so banal, and because it is offered without comment (there’s no narration or commentary), the effect is rather disconcerting, nay, troubling. In her book Eichmann In Jerusalem, Hannah Arendt famously wrote about “the banality of evil.” Here it is, on 8mm film.

I think I watched this movie at least 30 times …so far
Love it, classic and one of the best

1 Like

I’ve got this but are yet to spin it. You have inspired me to get it out thanks.

1 Like

Much is made - quite correctly - of the Beatles’ cultural impact in the 1960s, and the part their early music ('62-'65) played in the creation of what we now refer to as “the Sixties” or “modern Britain”. But perhaps Bond - the cinematic Bond - is just as important.

Dr No, the first cinematic outing of Fleming’s superspy, was released in the UK on October 5th, 1962, the very same day as The Beatles’ “Love Me Do”. The impact of the former was much greater, initially at least.

It must have been as much of a revelatory experience going to see Dr No at the flicks in '62 as it was hearing “Love Me Do” or “Please Please Me” in '62 or '63. The Fabs and bond pointed the way forward into an alien future, of wide-screen excitement, of colour, travel, freedom and possibility, away from monochromatic post-war small-screen austerity and imperial decline.

Just imagine seeing this on the big screen almost 57 years ago: eyeball-scorching Technicolor, exotic locations, glamourous women, smart suits, all that light and space and air, guns and sports cars, intercontinental travel, jaw-dropping sets, a supervillain, futuristic technology… and at the centre of it all, Connery’s virile, cynical, wise-cracking and sharp-suited Bond, retaining just enough of the thuggish aspects of Ian Fleming’s hero to be credible.

Watching this film again (on a superb blu-ray transfer) one can see why this franchise has remained so popular, but also why the first three films (before the bloat and camp set in) remain by far the best.

13 Likes

@TheKevster - I’ve watched Dr No umpteen times over the years and have always thought how cool Connery was in it. You talk about the impact when it was first released. My memory as a kid was being terrified by the spider scene!

1 Like

Excellent but Tragic series Dan including the Oprah part .

1 Like

Dead Calm on Blu-Ray;

I really enjoyed the book which I read when I was a boy and I’d forgotten just what a good and suspenseful film this is. A very young looking Nicole Kidman stars, along with Billy Zane and Sam Neill. Never has the enormous expanse of ocean seemed so claustrophobic.

Not a bad transfer to Blu-ray, although it’s a US disc as I don’t think it’s properly available in the UK. No extras though - not even a chapter search navigation bar.

4 Likes

Not particularly sharp picture, but grain-free. Nice colours though. Sound wasn’t particularly great either. Perhaps I should have sung-along.

5 Likes

Supremely daft, camp-tastic update of the classic 1930s sci-fi serial. Despite the absolutely godawful wooden-ness of Sam J Jones (Flash) and Melody Anderson (Dale Arden) and Queen’s ghastly theme tune, it works supremely well, thanks to Mike Get Carter Hodges’ assured direction, executed with the light touch this kind of material requires. Gilbert Taylor’s lurid, oversaturated cinematography and Danilo Donati’s amazing sets and costumes are other bonuses. There are sturdy performances from Topol (Professor Zharkov), Timothy Dalton (Prince Barin) and the gorgeous Ornella Muti (a slutty Princess Aura), and eye-popping, wonderfully hammy turns from Brian Blessed (Voltan), Peter Wyngarde (Klytus) and Hans Von Sydow (Emperor Ming).

Great fun.

3 Likes

Have long liked that movie. Never get bored watching Ornella Muti’s performance.

2 Likes

Superb

8 Likes

Amazing and very sad movie…Used to watch them on TV and even bought the massive box set. Loved them

1 Like