What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Once you get past the sheer uselessness (and irritating chirpiness) of the dreadful Pat Boone; and the rather creaky – even for 1959 – monsters (magnified lizards with appendages), there’s much to enjoy in this rather spiffing CinemaScope fantasy epic from 60 years ago. Not least the redoutable Arlene Dahl (still with us at 97) and the splendid James Mason, as well as some amazing sets and art direction (the matte painting is very good) and a wonderful Bernard Herrmann score. For children of all ages.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Packaged with the two brilliant tongue in cheek Tony Rome films this one sees Frank in 1968 fighting against pretty much all the topical issues of the day. Great cast: Lee Remick, Robert Duvall and the particularly gorgeous Jacqueline Bisset.

Not many singers made the transition to acting, but Sinatra always cuts a convincing character on screen.

2 Likes

1 Like

Arsenic and Old Lace.

Such a joy from Golden Era Capra, though Cary Grant himself admitted it was one of his own worst performances!

“Insanity runs in the family…It practically gallops!”

3 Likes

5 Likes

Tron Legacy BR

Admittedly NOT the greatest film, BUT one hell of a well produced soundtrack!

The film itself is very suitably in Disney. If you can apply the required bucketful of suspension of disbelief then the soundtrack will pay you back for the logical flaws in the film itself, which I would rate as, ‘C-, Must try harder’.

M

1 Like

The Towering Inferno BR

Of the '70s disaster movies this is my favourite, and a film that gets surprisingly regular outings from all the family. Up until now this has been streaming my DVD rip with 5.1 soundtrack. The picture is of poorer quality being softened and with grain artifacts, so how is the BR?
Picture:
Big step up. There are still some crawlies, but mainly on brief shots of the sky with clouds. The colours are far more saturated and dynamic.
Audio (DTS-HD MA 5.1):
For me this was slightly disappointing. Yes, it is FAR clearer, but they did not truly re-master the tracks. They made best use of the original 4 track surround, which is also on the disk, however, there is no enhancement and so it lacks punch during some of the larger moments.

Still, glad I have this. Much better way to watch than the DVD.

M

1 Like

Rio Bravo BR

I bought a 2nd hand box set of westerns mainly for The Searchers, which is one of my favourite films; Rio Bravo was an added extra, and my preferred telling of this tale by Howard Hawks. Good all round acting by Wayne & Martin and the supportiung actors, Bond and Angie Dickinson.

My original DVD rip has a very soft picture with washed out colours and grain. The audio is mono and serviceable.

Picture:
This is better, but it looks over saturated and the crawlies, whilst reduced, are still present.
Audio (DD Mono):
Clearer.

Yes, the BR is certainly better and this is an enjoyable western. As I got this as an added extra I am quiet happy, not sure I would bother otherwise, unless this is a particular favourite of yours.

M

3 Likes

Two excellent reviews/comparisons - now if you could just do the DVD/Blu-Ray comparisons for all new releases or maybe someone knows of a site that provides this sort of information.

@MrUnderhill - I think The Searchers is JW’s best film. It’s certainly one of my favourite westerns.

1 Like

I agree, and is one of the rare films where he truly acts - this is the film for which he should have got an Oscar,

1 Like

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/reviews.php is a good site with both video and audio quality reviews of blu-rays.

3 Likes

Thanks for this at a quick glance looks interesting.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Nice story, based a little on reality, however a bit overlong and suffers as a result, ‘cos it drifts somewhat and lacks a certain something.

I think they could have knocked a good 20 minutes off and made it all the more short and sweet.

3 Likes

Absolute less than zero interest in football. But I do appreciate the genius of Brian Clough and Michael Sheen.

4 Likes

Intelligent 1967 Brit sci-fi from the fabled Hammer Studios, penned by the great Nigel Kneale. Roy Ward Baker directs with a sure touch, relying on suggestion and the intelligence of the script rather than FX. This is that rare beast, a sci-fi film that assumes its audience comprises sentient adults, rather than slack-jawed teens obsessed with popcorn and sopectacle.

There’s a cast of wonderful British actors: James Donald, Andrew Keir, Barbara Shelley, Julian Glover, Bryan Marshall, etc too. A winner.

9 Likes