What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

It’s very good. Technically of course, but also because of the subject matter: I could never get tired of listening to, watching and hearing about The Beatles.

4 Likes

Relentless

The great Vincent Price has the time of his life in this glorious 1973 British comedy-horror picture about a ham actor who takes his revenge on the critics who savaged his career by embarking on a grisly but ingenious series of murders based around Shakespearean deaths, assisted by a motley crew of meths drinkers, dossers and tramps. Diana Rigg is his doting daughter and partner in crime, and there is a stunning cast of great Brit character actors: Arthur Lowe, Robert Coote, Robert Morley, Eric Sykes, Jack Hawkins, Michael Hordern, Milo O’Shea, Coral Browne, Dennis Price, Joan Hickson, Harry Andrews and Diana Dors.

The stunning script is by Anthony Greville-Bell and the deft direction – making ingenious use of London locations – is by Douglas Hickcox. Unreservedly recommended.

5 Likes

On Amazon Prime at the moment :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fascinating doc on The Beatles’ business folly, with plenty of input from those who were there (nothing from the Fabs, or Yoko, or Klein unfortunately).

1 Like

Portrait of the legendary German producer.

3 Likes

A true genius.

1 Like

This is Jim Rockford. At the tone, leave your name and message. I’ll get back to you…

Everything about it is classic and that car - Pontiac Firebird with the 180 handbrake turns.

Working my way through the 6 series box set.

9 Likes

Jason And The Argonauts - Bluray.

5 Likes

Hi Geoff,

Any remastering done?
HD soundtrack?
How are the extras?

Thx,

M

Hi, @MrUnderhill the blu-ray edition I have is from HMV’s Premium Collection. At the time of purchase I think it was in a 2 for £20 offer. This was the very first film I viewed in a cinema, so it has extra significance to me!

The picture is much better than the DVD version, nice and clean, though there are a few grainy parts due to the old elements. However, the majority of the film is very good, and framed at 1.66 which gives it very narrow bars on the left and right of a 16:9 screen. This also means there is more information on view than previous releases.

Film sound is in DTS Dolby 5.1, picture 1080p HD. Good extras including an interview of Ray Harryhausen by John Landis.

2 Likes

Just as an aside the Premium Collection from HMV was 2 for £15 now it has gone back up to £15 each. I did mention this to the guys in the shop and it appears their supplier of this exclusive product line has upped the price.

Luckily I picked up Jason on the ‘2 for’ offer but I’m kicking myself for not getting Logan’s Run and the absolutely brilliant Gene Hackman Night Moves.

Problem with Jason is that it leaves you wanting more - I think there was planned sequel that never saw the light of day - nevertheless a classic.

Hi Andy, you are correct it was 2 for £15, even more of a bargain. I purchased mine before Christmas, with Kubrick’s 2010: The Year We Make Contact which I bought for my son.

I obviously agree with your assessment that Jason is a classic, and that it was shame we didn’t get the chance to see more adventures.

1 Like

Hi @GeoffC,

Thx. the first film I remember seeing in a cinema was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Jason ATA had an impact on me as a child because Dr Who was in it! Great movie.

Cheers,

M

1 Like

One of things I learned from the extras was that Ray Harryhausen was a lifelong friend of Ray Bradbury.

1 Like

Widows - 4K. Quite a good film, but found the plot a little disjointed.

1 Like

T-34 is what Netflix wanted me to watch which I watched and enjoyed.

The excellent ROMA delivers a vivid, emotional portrait of domestic worker’s journey set against domestic ands political turmoil in the 1970s Mexico.

1 Like

I saw the stage version with Jim Broadbent , it was a hoot, not to be taken seriously but I suspect some did.

1 Like

Thinking about it, Rachel Stirling played the part that her mother (the lovely Diana Rigg) played in the film. If I am right somebody can confirm ?

1 Like