What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

My daughter’s choice last night. I’d forgotten how good it is.

5 Likes

It’s not actually that funny, but this 1953 vintage car caper oozes charm, has a gorgeous colour palette, an attractive and intensely likeable cast and is very, very English. Henry Passport To Pimlico Cornelius directs with the required deftness. The perfect tonic for these uncertain times.

5 Likes

Entertaining, can’t believe I saw it at the cinema 18 years ago!!!:open_mouth:

8 Likes

Name the Film?

1 Like

@Pete.T E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

No but ‘Close’

C E o t 3rd K

1 Like

Yes :+1:.

Oh yes, I see my obvious error! I have the 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray Box set of CEOTTK with 3 different cuts - Theatrical, Special and Directors.

I was actually thinking about the film recently because Richard Dreyfuss was on Channel 4 last week on Celebrity Bake Off. I haven’t watched it in a while so I had decided to soon!

My grandfather was a senior cinema projectionist and was deeply fascinated by the film when he showed it. I remember his cinema had a special display of real newspaper cuttings and UFO ‘photographs’ in the lobby during the films release.

1 Like

It’s a Wonderful Film. It sounds like a good excuse to compare the different edits . Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks Pete, I have pulled it out ready to view - there is a visual guide of the various versions included.

1 Like

Having bought the CD soundtrack of 1492 and absolutely loved it, I thought I’d try the DVD of the film.

What a mistake! I cannot credit how the music can be so good and the film so dire. Predictable, poorly acted, boring - I should have remembered I have yet to see a Depardieu film worth watching! More ham than a good delicatessen counter.

1 Like

Just got the BR and was watching it last week. Still love the scene where Dreyfus waves the vehicle to go round him, and it goes up and over.

2 Likes

That’s a Brilliant Scene of many ! Extremely well choreographed.

1 Like

The Bookshop, a very gentle film, which drew us in with some beautiful acting/scenes and an ending which was not your usual…all ends up lovely. Still thinking about it today.

A fascinating documentary about The Residents.

2 Likes

I’m lining up that drumming one for the weekend.
Wossit called…Rimshot or something.

Want to go back to my (inept) playing days…

I understand that most film makers didn’t spend a minute on a battlefield but you expect them to hire people who did to advise them and help them create a realistic tale. That was not the case here at all. For me it was a complete waste of time.

1 Like

The best picture ever made? Perhaps not, but Welles’ dazzling, ‘years ahead of its time’ masterpiece is always worth another watch. This is the two-disc “special edition” DVD from 2002. Hollywood would never allow Welles (or anyone else for that matter) this much creativew freedom again, at least not until the Spielberg/Lucas/Malick/Coppola generation 30 years later. Even if you consider the movie overrated (and I don’t), Welles’ central performance as Kane is a thing of wonder.

6 Likes

Decided last night to have a massive Mad Max marathon (missing out the third one, 'cause it’s crap).

Staerting off with the first picture from 1979, a low-budget, violent dystopian cop thriller starring a young and then unkown Mel Gibson. The acting is (mostly) poor, but the script, art direction, photography, music, editing, stunts and direction are all first rate, marking out George Miller as a talent to watch.

4 Likes