What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Eventually got around to watching this. After all the hype and appearing in critics’ best films of 2018 lists (no.1 in The Guardian), I have to say I was a little disappointed.

The main test for me for any film is engagement and on this criteria it failed. I found it difficult to get connected to the characters - the film seemed to be somehow slightly detached and distant from what was going on.

That said, a worthy story and some great photography but it didn’t really move me.

3 Likes

4 Likes

A hokem premise for the movie and unintentionally funny at times (shades of Hal losing it from 2001; A Space Odessy) but entertaining enough for a family movie night (kids are over 18 btw)

I really enjoyed the first one, but despite less than glowing critical reviews, I found this one even better. Very silly, moves along at a cracking pace, profane, sick, heaps of explosive action scenes. I laughed all the way through.

One of my Apple bargains - £2.99 in 4K Dolby Vision, HDR, Atmos sound.

5 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri on DVD

Unquestionably very well acted and some great settings/camerawork but some things jarred for me e.g. the intolerant southern-US stereotype of Sam Rockwell’s character, the unpunished over-use of violence by same, the angst injected by constant profanities in many of the scenes. As to the ending, it struck me that I’d just watched c.2 hours of character development…and then hit a full-stop, baited for a sequel.

For me, it was 3/5 based on the acting.

Maybe I’ve been conditioned by my regular viewings of The Sopranos of late.

6 Likes

I received this on DVD In error, from Cinema Paradiso instead of the Blu-Ray version (which has happened several times recently). Mildly entertaining, but not as good as Goosebumps​:interrobang::crazy_face:.

Action scenes nice, acting pretty mediocre, but overall ok…
image https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A13-FzDzeVL.RI_SX300.jpg

@anon56864344 - awesome film. It’s got everyone in it - as well as the ones you mention, there’s Dennis Price, john Le Mes, Liz Fraser, Margaret Rutherford, Irene Handl, Miles Malleson, Cardew Robinson, Raymond Hintley, Kenneth Griffifths, Sam Kydd, Victor Maddern, etc… the cream of British character acting.

2 Likes

The Beatles - “Eight Days A Week” (2017)

4 Likes

5 Likes

10 Likes

Pure genius.

“Does your dog bite?”…

4 Likes

On DVD, courtesy of Cinema Paradiso - A Simple Favor (sp).

You get the feeling that in here is a potentially very good film but it just doesn’t quite deliver the goods. It may just warrant a second viewing, as there are plenty of little twists and turns to navigate, but also some that appear confused and possibly just irrelevant dead ends.

2 Likes

13 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes