What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

On DVD, courtesy of Cinema Paradiso - A Simple Favor (sp).

You get the feeling that in here is a potentially very good film but it just doesn’t quite deliver the goods. It may just warrant a second viewing, as there are plenty of little twists and turns to navigate, but also some that appear confused and possibly just irrelevant dead ends.

Film released 1960 - Directed by Billy Wilder. With Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray, Ray Walston. A man tries to rise in his company by letting its executives use his apartment for trysts, but complications arise. Funny, sad, emotional excellent film. :sunglasses:

Infamy! Infamy! They’ve all got it in for me!

Classic Carry On, with the splendidly pun-laden script from Talbot Rothwell. It has all the gang: the two Kenneths, Jim Dale, Joan, Hawtrey and Amanda Barrie as a ditsy, flirtatious Cleo. And of course it’s got Sid in it, as a lecherous Mark Anthony.

I think I might have to change my avatar to celebrate…

Yeah, better than average for that style of movie, I thought.

This was really good. Recommended.

Hondo

Here us a John Wayne western I had never seem before, made in 1953 in 3D, which is apparent in some of the shots.

Wayne plays a part Apache scout on his way back to the fort having lost his horse when being persued and stops at a remote home stead to buy a replacement. The homestead is being maintained by a women and her son and he tries to persuade them to leave.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. I think is acts as an interesting counterpoint to The Searchers, where Wayne has a pointed early dislike for his part indian adopted nephew. This film is FAR from simplistic in its treatment of the Apache. Interestingly the film’s director had to move off to another movie due to time over-runs and the final battle scenes were directed by John Ford.

Recommended

Keep meaning to dig out my DVD and watch that again.

So much better than the Travolta disaster!

Film released 1960 - This is the ultimate Terry Thomas film. He gets to act out being the most wonderful cad, stealing girls off poor saps arms, driving open top sports cars are a furious pace, and generally getting the chance to utter ‘hard cheese old boy’. Carmicheal is excellent, bewildered to begin with and slowly learning the dark arts of Upmanship. Any film with the great Alistair Sim in it, has got to be worth a look. Hilarious and very funny :sunglasses:

The great Terry Thomas! One of my very favourite actors and on wonderful form in that movie.

@YetiZone - He was a very fine comedy actor and it was a shame he died alone and penniless.

Agree, utterly tragic how Parkinson’s disease took its toll, although very touching about the charity gala organised by his peers allowing him to live comfortably for the final years.

Whenever one of his movies came on the TV when I was a kid it was always a must watch.

One of the greatest comedy actors for me.

Film released 1963 - Lindsay Anderson’s exhilarating look at the psyche of a rugby league players life off and on the field. Excellent film with fine performances from Richard Harris and Rachel Roberts :sunglasses: