What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Infamy! Infamy! They’ve all got it in for me!

Classic Carry On, with the splendidly pun-laden script from Talbot Rothwell. It has all the gang: the two Kenneths, Jim Dale, Joan, Hawtrey and Amanda Barrie as a ditsy, flirtatious Cleo. And of course it’s got Sid in it, as a lecherous Mark Anthony.

I think I might have to change my avatar to celebrate…

5 Likes

Yeah, better than average for that style of movie, I thought.

This was really good. Recommended.

1 Like

Hondo

Here us a John Wayne western I had never seem before, made in 1953 in 3D, which is apparent in some of the shots.

Wayne plays a part Apache scout on his way back to the fort having lost his horse when being persued and stops at a remote home stead to buy a replacement. The homestead is being maintained by a women and her son and he tries to persuade them to leave.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. I think is acts as an interesting counterpoint to The Searchers, where Wayne has a pointed early dislike for his part indian adopted nephew. This film is FAR from simplistic in its treatment of the Apache. Interestingly the film’s director had to move off to another movie due to time over-runs and the final battle scenes were directed by John Ford.

Recommended

1 Like

14 Likes

11 Likes

Keep meaning to dig out my DVD and watch that again.

So much better than the Travolta disaster!

8 Likes

5 Likes

The great Terry Thomas! One of my very favourite actors and on wonderful form in that movie.

2 Likes

Agree, utterly tragic how Parkinson’s disease took its toll, although very touching about the charity gala organised by his peers allowing him to live comfortably for the final years.

Whenever one of his movies came on the TV when I was a kid it was always a must watch.

One of the greatest comedy actors for me.

3 Likes

11 Likes

9 Likes

iTunes rental via Apple TV 4K.

An overacting Charlton Heston as usual but not a bad movie otherwise.

5 Likes

Classic Carry On with Sid in his hard-gambling, lecherous working class Cockney pomp and Kenneth W at his mincing best; and a Rothwell script stuffed full of groansome puns and outrageous innuendo.

6 Likes

@anon56864344 Bit of trivia for you: The girl Terry-Thomas and Ian Carmichael pursue in School for Scoundrels is Janette Scott, who is the daughter of Thora Hird. Ms Scott was also married to Mel Tormé.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Yesterday evening

Earl Slick played guitar on stage for David Bowie, on and off for 40 years, so he has some insight into the psychology of being a sideman – a professional musician in the service of a big ego. “Most of the time we’re invisible,” he says. “Ghosts at the top table.”

In fact, all of the Rolling Stones turned out to heap measured praise on Bernard Fowler, their long-serving back-up singer, arranger and person in charge of remembering how all the songs go. The Stones seem utterly reliant on him.

We were also introduced to Wendy and Lisa of [Prince and the Revolution] fame; Crystal Taliefero, who played just about everything for Billy Joel; and legendary [Stax] guitarist Steve Cropper, whose co-writing credits on a string of hits make him a rare creature – a sideman with a pension.

2 Likes

BBC iPlayer HD download. Was on tv yesterday but I’ve missed it.

1 Like

4 Likes