What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

On DVD , I’ve a good Pioneer - and the sound was so much better than when I watch on Sky . I bought the DVD , as I couldn’t get a Blu Ray

Literally a cast of thousands

2 Likes

Madonna was made for that film. Art almost imitating life.

1 Like

This is why I keep buying media, the streamed versions just sound aneamic. I watched my DVD rip a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.

2 Likes

The Paleface - 1948

I was surprised on watching this that I had never seen it before. As always Bob Hope always raises a smile just by seeing him, but there is no doubt that as funny as he was much of his material has been repeated to the point of being routine; that doesn’t stop some of his delivery and timing from raising a frequent smile and an occasional guffaw.

The plot here is simply a device for delivering gags, which it does effectively.

M

3 Likes

The Reivers - 1969

Adaptation of the William Faulkner novel, which I have not read.

The story revolves around Lucius, an eleven year old boy, being led astray by two members of his extended family when the adults go off to a funeral. The story, set in 1905, involves a new car, a brothel, a ‘whore with a heart of gold’ called Corrie, a horse race, racial tensions and the abuse of power. This catalogue makes the film sound a lot more interesting than the delivered narrative felt, which was disappointingly pedestrian.

The cast includes a youngish Steve McQueen.

If you are patient then some of the emotional beats do land well, especially the physical abuse visited upon Corrie and the admonishment between Will Geer as Boss and his grandson, Lucius.

Very much a lazy Sunday afternoon film. Not one I will revisit quickly, but certainly not a complete waste of time.

M

2 Likes

Yes watched The Batman yesterday , streamed from Sky - the sound was frequently muddier than a Hippos Bath

1 Like

The life aquatic with Steve Zissou.

The Reluctant Debutante - 1958

Rex Harrison, Kay Kendall (Mrs Harrison), John Saxon & Sandra Dee. Yes, THAT Sandra Dee; although in this film attempting to rid herself of her burden.

Rex Harrison is always good value, even though his acting tics do become familiar friends over time. Kay Kendall forms a great partnership with RH, she tragically died of Leukemia not long after this film.

The movie is based around the last London Season and is part London advert part Downton Abbey. It feels like familiar Austen territory. There are moment redolent of Brian Rix, and the farce is supported by an OTT performance by Peter Myers as David Fenton.

A VERY young John Saxon is the heroic lead, not much call for his Kung Fu in this film.

Overall it a pleasant enough jaunt, certainly not top draw.

M

1 Like

4 Likes

7 Likes

One of my Sunday evening regulars

I watched the final sequence with Dumbledore and Harry, I looked down and Dunbledore’s gown was always under Harry’s feet . If they had shot it together , the Harry would have tripped up Dumbledore all the time.

The Blu-Ray had a stack of features on how they made it, and I thought why tell us?

Pun intended but the next time they do that I just want to "enjoy the magic’ , it’s like illusionists saying how they perform the illusion or wrestlers breaking kayfabe

Long and a little uneven but definitely worth watching.

1 Like

I love this version as it was my introduction to Buchan etc. but would also recommend the black & white Hitchcock version with Robert Donat.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Always enjoy 'Arry.

I never saw those x-ray machines for shoes/feet, did they really exist?

2 Likes

Yes, they were known as Pedoscopes, after the company based in St. Albans that manufactured them but were gradually phasing out in the second half of the 20th century because of increasingly stringent regulations due to growing awareness of radiation hazards.

3 Likes

Shot by acclaimed director, Nicholas Roeg, Glastonbury Fayre is an enthralling music film of the first Glastonbury festival to have the pyramid stage. Free to all and with a line-up that included Melanie, Terry Reid, Family, Fairport Convention, Traffic, Linda Lewis, Arthur Brown, the true spirit of Glastonbury is there for all to see in this unique film record.

1 Like

I guess I really ought to start on this lot !

A lot are films I’ve seen before and had to buy my own copy.

1 Like

First one down. Kagemusha The Shadow Warrior.
Not seen this for a very long time and glad it’s got a blu-ray release at last. Does seem to be darker than I recall though. It’s a long film but doesn’t drag. Well worth watching if you like Seven Samurai etc.

1 Like

and then

9 Likes