What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Streaming on Disney+ great movie

For this time of year. Great soundtrack from the man himself Jim Jarmusch

2 Likes

That. Is not my dog.

If your a fan of the slasher horror genre, there is much to love for the original Terrifier.
The low budget screenplay produced a perfect homage to the old slashers. Complete with a 1970s feel over the soundtrack.
The effects, whilst Gory had an almost comical surrealism that didn’t quite make you take the shocking scenes so seriously.
This new 2 version has upped the budget considerably to take that gore convincing enough to make you question.
(with an appropriate response from film goers fainting)
Not for the faint hearted.

I never lost heart with Luc Besson after Nikita and Leon.

We have been on some strange journeys together.

His latest nonsense is on Amazon Prime.

We have seen it all before but it is flashily directed and a decent story.
Not sure of the corpse count but……High.
Helen Mirren and Peaky Blinders appear.

2 Likes

The Awakening (1980)

Charlton Heston as an Egyptologist who discovers an undisturbed tomb. This is the sort of hokum that I enjoy in a horror film, more atmosphere than blood and guts.

The directorial debut of Mike Newell.

M

2 Likes

I watch a lot of cinema but only mention here films I find on Amazon Prime.

Critically admired but then they do like films that play up to their cineastic
knowledge. I am sure your appreciation here might be in relation to your love of Cage’s work.

Down on his luck Cage accepts a job to join a party in Marbella thrown by the richest of his fans. Involve CIA,drug baddies and our two now Buddy heroes.

I preferred ‘Pig’

‘Put the bunny back in the box’ gets a mention.

1 Like

Dr Phibes, Theatre Of Blood more Hokum please, though I did enjoy Dr Sleep (one scene excluded ) . I have had It 2 on BluRay for a year, haven’t seen it yet

2 Likes

I’ve been renewing my acquaintance, not with the 2010 film of the same name, but with a DVD boxset of the 1986 BBC comedy series. Wonderful.
Dear_John_(UK)
“Were there any…sexual problems?”

4 Likes

Just finished building my mini home cinema (65" Oled) in a spare upstairs room, so interested to stumble on this thread.

So the first film we tried for 4KUHD was Top Gun Maverick on streaming…

7e02e144d777f88e7d7773f2b7ebd805592ba1e9caa5e7496e660336434a7484.UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_SX532

5 Likes

The Devils Hour

Peter Capaldi and Jessica Raine star in this gripping six-part psychological thriller. Lucy wakes every night at exactly 3:33am. Nothing in her life has made sense for a long time. But the answers are out there, somewhere, at the end of a trail of brutal murders.

With a looming Brexit vote wreaking havoc across the British political landscape, tensions are high for activist Matthew Collins and his advocacy group Hope Not Hate, who fear a violent, racist campaign from far-right extremist group National Action. With the police having limited intelligence on the far right, Matthew needs an inside man in the organisation. Written by BAFTA award-winning Jeff Pope and starring Stephen Graham as Matthew Collins.

1 Like

The 4K disc is fantastic

3 Likes

SAS Rogue Heroes.

Who dares wins. The adrenaline-fuelled origins of the fearless, reckless Special Forces unit, its legend forged among the mayhem of WWII. By Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight.

All 6 episode on iPLAYER now.

2 Likes

Rewatched my favourite vampire film last night. A nice twist on the normal blood soaked splatterfests often found in recent efforts of the genre.

3 Likes

Enjoyed Elvis, if thats the right word as ultimately its a sad story of exploitation, abuse and isolation

2 Likes

Yes, at the moment I only have a Blu Ray player which I shall shortly upgrade to a 4K along with a better sound system.

This is a new area for me so still feeling my way with whats what.

Sprung

Enjoying this apparent true story of a group of US Convicts granted early release due to Covid. Knowhere to go their invited back to the house of the Mother of one of them who persuades them to form a crew. They agree on the proviso that they only rob “bad people”.
At times its quite surreal and has a good soundtrack of Indie Rock & Americana which has prompted me to further investigate.

2 Likes

@Deeg

1 Like

Brian and Charles. Funny and touching. Along the lines of Lars and the real girl. Highly recommended. It starts a little corny, but stick with it!

1 Like