What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

I watched “Emily the criminal” last night. Highly recommended!

4 Likes

Revisited Logan last night and what a well directed and acted movie this is. Violence is part of the story.
Dystopian and bleak future especially for the mutants who are being hunted to extinction.
Logan has a noirish end of life homologous character using his one last throw to protect his own kind.Patrick Stewartthe kindly,thoughtful professor.
If not streamed the Bluray can usually be picked up quite cheaply.
Good test for your screen and sound system.

3 Likes

It is very good , a shame they didn’t follow the thread through , except for the New Mutants, which was a bit of an oddity

Having a clearout of old VHS tapes for recycling and came across this tape recorded from TV way back when

Bad Trip To Edgewood

An investigative report into bizarre and horrid experiments using poweful hallucinogens on unsuspecting military volunteers at Edgewood Arsenal Military Base.
I found its been put up on Youtube should anyone be interested, If you recall the Horror film Jacobs Ladder you might get this

2 Likes

Superb. I prefer it to High Society - which is excellent.

Top Gun Maverick

2 Likes

I’ve been working my way through this DVD boxed set over the last few nights.

First shown on British TV in 1982 this drama series won just about every accolade available. It chronicles the lives of a group of Liverpudlian tarmac layers and their families, and dramatises their search for work while frustrated by the social security systems of the time. The stories are often gritty and uncompromising but are laced with scouse humour throughout. The subjects tackled could be regarded as “a bit too close to home” at the present time, but it’s a riveting watch with stunning performances from the entire cast.
IMHO it still holds up incredibly well today considering it’s 40 years old. An absolute “must see”.

5 Likes

From Logan last night to Lapwing this evening.
Whilst I enjoy the great American cinema there is much else to be enjoyed.

About 1570 on marshes in Lincolnshire a small religious community of salt farmers is breaking apart.
The dissolute leader is troubled with thoughts of theft,anger and lust for his aphonic sister in law. The titled Lapwing.
We watch the group dissolve under the weight of his prejudices and eventual demise.
Beautiful translucent photography.
On Amazon Prime and where would I be without it.

Or just about to….

I watched Logan again but realised Wolverine had escaped me.
Bronson? Bit of nonsense but if Hardy is acting not usually a let down.
One Australian thriller.
Fences and Beale Street because I enjoy films featuring real folk and trying to understand their real problems.
£15.00,delivered all five. EBay.
After watching either kept for another look or St.Helena’s charity shop.

1 Like

This seemed somehow appropriate

2 Likes

3 Likes

Brilliant! I remember seeing Fantastic Planet at the cinema back in the day as a double bill (back when Cinema’s used to show two films) along with Crystal Voyager the surf film with the segment set to Pink Floyd’s Echoes

:heart:

4 Likes

Crystal Voyager is brilliant, I can remember rushing to the old theatre at Long Jetty to watch it when it was released. Have to say it was hard to see over the cloud of smoke and don’t remember much more about the night.:wink: It was the first time I’d heard PFs Echoes. Both the music and George Greenough surfing stuck with me forever.

It was on that night with another classic surf movie, Morning of the Earth which was the first feature length surf movie and featured a great Aussie soundtrack. Thanks for the reminder. :+1:

3 Likes

5 Likes

Thanks Pete, I will see if I can check out Morning Of The Earth. Not a surfer myself, I swim like a rock, but love the culture and vibe.
As you’ve probably gathered I love Jamaican music and culture, it might interest you to know there is a cool reggae band The Mystic Revealers if you want to check them out that are also surfers from the community of Bull Bay where they hold international competitions

1 Like

Hadn’t noticed. :rofl::rofl:

I’ll check that out later today, cheers. :+1:

1 Like

1 Like

Triple bill today…

Reasonably entertaining film acount of the inspiration for Herman Melville’s novel Moby D*ck

A bit premature for 20Nov. Anyway an entertaining and well played tale of the inspirations leading Charles Dickens to write A Christmas Carol and to some factual degree inventing the way Christmas is celebrated since.

An evergreen classic. Mrs Dread is a big fan and I havent seen the film properly since seeing it as a kid when my local community centre used to do Saturday kids film shows. So couldnt resist seeing how this has transferred to 4K Blu Ray which is pretty good for a film 83 years old this month.

51NwzqiDatL.AC_SY580

1 Like

A wonderful and searing documentary which also serves as a tribute to the tireless Andrew Jennings, investigative journalst extraordinaire. If this doesn’t get your blood boiling, nothing will…

3 Likes