What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

From 1956, ‘steamy’ for its days, still entertaining today.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent movie, seen it when it first released a few years ago.

2 Likes

I second that :+1:

Bit of a mixed bag this one but overall quite enjoyable.
Denzel Washington as a cop haunted by his past investigation of a serial killer. I was a bit distracted by Rami Malek after recently seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, I kept thinking Denzel Washington’s fellow cop is Freddie Mercury :joy:

I had that lined up for tonight.

Did you ever watch the Mr.Robot series in which Remi rose to fame.
Hacking dystopia. Needs concentration.
First series disappears from Prime shortly. Be sharp.

3 Likes

Would not be Christmas without some Muppets :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

My 2nd favourite version of A Christmas Carol after Alistair Sim.

2 Likes

The Alistair Sim version is Mrs Deeg’s favourite :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip :+1:

Another vote for Alistair Sim

Scrooge_–_1951_UK_film_poster

The Jim Carey animated version is great fun too. Saw it on original release at the pictures and watched it again at the weekend. I’m not always a lover of CGI but in this case its fantastic and looks great on my new 65" OLED.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Rather than what I have just watched, what I will watch on Christmas Eve, directly after the service from Kings

I saw him do his one man Christmas Carol at the Old Vic, stunning

2 Likes

A couple of weeks back I posted The Man Who Invented Christmas the story of Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol

This documentary is an interesting addendum to that. (Not actually watched it recently but when it first broadcast, its still available on iplayer)

2 Likes

I watched a chunk of it and wished it was a crisp ninety minutes , sometimes less is more

1 Like

Another great film for the season albeit not particularly a Christmas film.
The definitive imo David Lean film version from 1948, Alec Guinness’s Fagin sadly perpetuates anti semitic or at least stereotypical imagery, apparently he was made up to resemble the illustration from the original book, today though its a bit cringeworthy. A brilliantly menacing Bill Sykes played by Robert Newton, I remember as a child being totally freaked out.
Reservations aside, a product of its time, its classic masterpiece

Oliver_Twist1948.movieposter

3 Likes

Another Classic that totally freaked me out as a kid
Spencer Tracey’s brilliant menacing evil portrayal of Mr Hyde.
Looking at modern day reviews it tends to get criticised for airbrushing much of the sexuality from the story, but hey this film was 1941!

2 Likes

One of the reasons How The West Was Won was one of the last pictures of its type was because in 1964 an obscure Italian named Sergio Leone came along and deconstructed the traditional American Western with this low-budget picture shot in Spain and Rome starring a largely unknown Amercian named Clint Eastwood.

Using a minimum of dialogue, dramatic music from another Italian, Sergio Ennio Morricone, the brilliant and charismatic Italian actor Gian Maria Volonte as well as a group of character heavies as villians, and superb cinematography from Massimo Dallamano – as well as the story from Kursosawa’s 1961 samurai flick Yojimbo – Leone choregraphed his picture operatically, using a mixture of vast wide shots and extreme close-ups, and, as in the silent era, letting the camera and his cutting provide narrative and drive.

15 Likes

4 Likes

The only one of the series which is worth its salt.

1 Like

The Alistair Sim version is very good, but my film preference is for this version with Albert Finney - Thank You Very Much!

2 Likes