What (& how big) is the difference between 282 and 252?

This discussion simply reflects that the Naim web site is far from clear in describing how the separates range works. Some basic diagrammatic layouts would help vastly. When I first starting researching Naim, I found the web site completely confusing.

4 Likes

Absolutely, I also suggested diagrams to Clare and she said she would take it to the web team for the new site :+1:
I still don’t understand why the outdated links and misleading typos can’t be fixed right away, though.

3 Likes

If I am not mistaken in the other thread I started, Clare said that it is not that easy to correct stuff in the current website because it has grown too big and too messy. However, the gist was that the new website coming soon will (hopefully) be a lot clearer.

One quick point on the power supplies: the HighCap stands out like a sore thumb (or a halved thumb in this case) with its half a box design. It would have been much nicer if it was a full box like the SC. Esthetically it clashes with the full box design of the rest of the system.

An XPS DR would fit in a shoebox Hicap sized box for that matter. It is mostly Salisbury air…

2 Likes

The Hicap has been in shoebox format since it was launched. In those day the pre-amps and some power amps were also half-width. It would be a tragedy to put it in a full-width case :scream:

5 Likes

Yes, she said that changes have to be made with care (IIRC she did not mention size of the site specifically). Which is what I don’t understand, however messy it was let to become, I can’t fathom how it would be difficult to change NDX to NDX2 or NAC 155 XS to NAP 155 XS in the text, or products/ndx to products/ndx-2 in a link. Anyone can do it in the editor of the browser. The website is also not very large. I maintain content for a similarly sized website at work. You change the HTML and upload it. I cannot imagine what they might have done to the website that makes this difficult

1 Like

Pure HTML websites are pretty rare these days :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve not looked at the source code. Or indeed the errors mentioned.

Like I said, I do this for a living, in part. Our company makes approx the same revenue as Naim and the website is of comparable size and complexity. I have an idea how this works. If anything generates the HTML then these simple changes can be made in the source. And the errors are not in the JavaScript (and the site is not very script heavy, most is static) but in plain text and links. I did look at the page source, it is just a right-click away in the browser. And it is like I wrote, there are e.g. the usual internal links like href=“products/ndx”. Not hard to append -2. Even less hard to change NAC to NAP in the text

1 Like

Right, fair enough. :+1:
Win SCP and Notepad++ and it’s fixed :nerd_face:

1 Like

Pardon another daft question but: Do the 282 and SuperCap come with all the cables to connect them together? And also does the 282 come with the cable(s) needed to connect it to the 300DR?

The 252 comes with the burndy and SNAIC cables to connect to the Supercap. The 300 comes with the DIN to XLR interconnects to connect it to a Naim preamp

1 Like

No. The 282 comes with a single SNAIC for conection to a HC or FC. It needs another SNAIC for the SC. You can if course use it with one SNAIC and leave the link plug in on the 282, but you won’t get the full benefit of the upgrade. Luckily SNAICs don’t cost much.

Power amps come with the leads required to connect them to the signal outs on Naim power supplies.

1 Like

I thought the SNAIC cables were supplied with the amps not the pre amps

The Supercap is ‘meant’ for the 252. The 252 comes with a Burndy and Snaic 5 to connect to the Supercap.

All you get with a Supercap is a mains lead.

The 282 comes with link plugs, remote, a napsc and the mains lead for the napsc. Nothing else. No Snaics.

If buying a Supercap to use with a 282, you must buy two Snaic5 leads.

The 300 comes with a left and right pair of Din to XLR leads to connect to the Supercap, Hicap or whatever.

1 Like

You thought correctly.

when My friends explained to me the difference between 282 and 252 I could not understand. I was the owner of 282 and I was delighted. At first it was powered by a hicap. then I connected the 282 to a supercap dr. There has already been half a revolution there. The 282 has changed a lot. When I bought the 252 and attacked it it was a magic, a revolution. You can’t tell the difference if you don’t compare them. For me the 252 wins hands down.

5 Likes

from my experience on both 282 & 282

I really liked my 282 - used both HCDR and then SC (no DR) to power the 282 - if you want to see the 282 at it’s best SC or SCDR - as other have said slightly forward presentation on 282 but that does in no way demince the quality of music the 282 can achieve -

252 of course with only SC or SCDR - grown up brother to 282, more focus and musical refinement, increased detail and dynamics - is the ££ worth the extra - well it was for me had my 252 nearly 2 years now and love what it offers to the rest of my system, the 252 certainly demands more from the source

I use LP12 (kilmax level) NDX (no PSU) used my 282 on both my 200 and then 300 and 300DR

I’m not sure if this actually helps the debate, but after doing loads of reading and some listening regarding the 282 and 252, I decided to get a 552. Partly because I reckoned I’d end up trading up to it in the nearish future anyway, and a trade in and up is more expensive than going straight there, but also because of the debates and discussions around the 282/252.

I concluded that the 252 was more revealing and neutral, the 282 was bouncier and often a more entertaining listen, though perhaps not for so long. But I’m happy with the 552.

2 Likes

I went from 82/250 to 252/300 in 2004. I have not felt the need to change again. I always wondered if the combination worked synergistically with my SBLs. I am certainly very happy with the sound after sixteen years!

Personally I am not interested in what’s inside.

2 Likes